Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Degrees/Colleges are a waste of money! Only rich people should go.

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:37 AM
  • 286 Replies

So....

My friend completed her Associates degree in Medical Administration with High Honors like two years ago. Anyhow well, she claims she has put in tons of applications but no go with getting hired... So she has been working minimal wage jobs including Mc Donalds!

So it got me thinking..... Is it a waste of money, useless, pointless? How did it go for you?

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It can be a waste of money or it can work out for you.  I know plenty of ppl with college degrees who either can't get a job or they don't get a job for their degree,   I also know plenty of ppl who never went to college who get good career jobs and those who can't find one.  I think it all depends on your degree plus where u live

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Personally, I think she picked the wrong field of study.... She was better at other things.

Quoting Fields456:

It can be a waste of money or it can work out for you.  I know plenty of ppl with college degrees who either can't get a job or they don't get a job for their degree,   I also know plenty of ppl who never went to college who get good career jobs and those who can't find one.  I think it all depends on your degree plus where u live

I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM
2 moms liked this

In the current economy it is like a 50/50 shot that you will get employment once you leave college. So many students are entering the job force without any means to pay back their school loans. I still think it's worth it in the eventuality that the economy might pick up in the next four or five years. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM

what are the odds you get hired in your field while your still in school>????

Quoting Anonymous:

In the current economy it is like a 50/50 shot that you will get employment once you leave college. So many students are entering the job force without any means to pay back their school loans. I still think it's worth it in the eventuality that the economy might pick up in the next four or five years. 

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it is a waste of money, but I know a lot of people would disagree. I think you have more options if you have some college under your belt. Your friend did complete a college program so she should be getting more leads. Perhaps she needs to take another look at her resume, or have better references. 

mudwrap
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Education is important. I always tell my kids that. It's not only for you to find work but it mainly gives someone a better, bigger view of the world. A better understanding and more self-confidence. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
I am just starting my degree ill let you know in 4 yrs. but. You should've heard my conversation with the school when at the beginning they said I would most likely qualify for no financial aide because the high school(adult school) I did my last 20 credits at was not accredited. I was like uhhh why would I go to college if I could afford to pay for college. If I had that much money laying around I would not feel the need to get a college degree!
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Doctors want to have their wife in the office sometimes and they're usually the ones who do this sorta thing. Or once you have one of those, you don't need an other. And it's not an every day job so sometimes they work 3 places every day!
thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM

ya I think something is definately wrong... She is smart but.... She picked the wrong major... She rushed into it and didnt even think it out....

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I don't think it is a waste of money, but I know a lot of people would disagree. I think you have more options if you have some college under your belt. Your friend did complete a college program so she should be getting more leads. Perhaps she needs to take another look at her resume, or have better references. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM
Everyone needs to go to college. But go in a field in high demand.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)