Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My confession: I don't like shopping with DH

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies
I came to realize this a short while ago, I don't like going shopping with my husband because he doesn't want to buy the same things I do. For instance, he likes to buy things from the freezer aisle you just throw in the oven, or something you make from a box; I prefer to cook from scratch and I'm good at it.
We were raised two completely different ways and I think that has a lot to do with it. His mom didn't like to cook, mine cooked almost every night, his dad would cook sometimes and he would cook real food, but not always healthy food.
I know I need to talk to him about this, but I don't know how without hurting his feelings. We both need to lose weight and I know that's going to be much harder eating crap from a box instead of actually cooking. He doesn't like most veggetables either, so it's going to be a challenge.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReaIisticBeauty
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Maybe he doesn't like your cooking? Some people prefer boxed food and frozen food over home made.
MayBeeIAm
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
From year's of experience, you won't change him-buy and cook how you like. If he doesn't want what you make he can figure something else out. Take care of you.
Donnah118
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Me neither! We buy the same things but my SO stares at the flyer forever like there is some kind of revelation in there and then he wanders the aisles like a lost child. I prefer to go alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

shopping with men=headache

go alone

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Ouch! What did I ever do to you? Lol I know what you mean, but he's constantly bragging about my cooking and baking to other people and I know he's not just doing it to spare my feelings, I've been told by a lot of people that I'm a good cook.
We do eat a lot of meals cooked from scratch, I just want to eliminate the boxed/frozen stuff altogether, even if I have to freeze things ahead of time.

Quoting ReaIisticBeauty:

Maybe he doesn't like your cooking? Some people prefer boxed food and frozen food over home made.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
This is me lol! I check the ads for sales, some times it bugs him, but then he goes on about how much money we save.

Quoting Donnah118:

Me neither! We buy the same things but my SO stares at the flyer forever like there is some kind of revelation in there and then he wanders the aisles like a lost child. I prefer to go alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

so go behind him and put all the shit back in the freezer....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM

This. Try to compromise and find him healthy frozen/pre-made options. A few days out of the week you can all eat a meal cooked from scratch and some others you can try what he likes.

Quoting ReaIisticBeauty:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I kind of do that, last night I cooked chicken on the grill, I love grilled chicken, but he hates it, so I cooked his in the oven.

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

From year's of experience, you won't change him-buy and cook how you like. If he doesn't want what you make he can figure something else out. Take care of you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I dont like to shop with DH either, but for a different reason.  He rushes me and I end up spending too much because I cant compare or I forget to get something completely.  I am even shopping with a list.  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)