Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adoption case

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 188 Replies
3 moms liked this

I feel, that in cases of adoptions, that records should not be sealed.

I feel that as the birth mother, you give up any of your rights for the baby.  

If the baby wants to have their real birth certificate, I feel the baby (or once they're an adult) has a right to have it.

If the baby (or once they're an adult) wants to know anything about their birth parents, I feel they should be allowed to have knowledge about them.  Know if there are any diseases in the family, any health issues, any family on their side!

This is my opinion.  I stand by what I said.  What say you?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on May. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No. 

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on May. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

bump

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on May. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Nope?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. 

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM
5 moms liked this

I feel there should be a disclosure of diseases/health issues prior to the adoption.

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on May. 6, 2013 at 1:56 PM

What if 5 years later, the birth mom has another kid?  Do you feel the adopted out kid deserves to know she has blood family out there?

Quoting AllofFive19:

I feel there should be a disclosure of diseases/health issues prior to the adoption.

BridgeEbb
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Some parents do not want to be found. 

alison.collins
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this
As an adoptee I want to say I agree, but then people won't give up baby's for adoption anymore. It suck not having medical history. Maybe adding a blood sample to a data base for genetic profiling could help. So I guess I'll have to say no to this. I would like to see more in depth medical records for adoptees bio parents though.
Babymama7710
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

No I don't agree some parents don't want to be found or know the kid

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have adopted three children.  All were removed from their birth parents at birth for fear of their safety (1 mom was schizophrenic, one mom threatened to kill them).  All went through over a year of supervised visitation in an attempt to successfully reunify the family, to include screening any and all family members they could find for potential placement.

The records are sealed.  Their birth certificates have my name and only my name on them as their mother.

They all know they are adopted.  I have contact with one BM, and she freely offers medical history.  With the other BM, I have contact with the maternal grandparents, but they do not willingly provide any health history.  When the children are older, old enough to process, we will give them as much of their history as I think they can manage.  When I die, they will get everything that I have, information wise. 

My job as their mom is to keep them safe.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on May. 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yea pretty much. I believe adoptions get closed for a reason.

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Nope?

Quoting AliKatAK47:

No. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)