Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dreadlocks on a child...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm thinking of letting my 2 year old's hair lock...it naturally starts locking up immediately if I don't brush it at least twice a day...so I'm just going to let it go...

Any tips?

Would you let your child have dreadlocks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on May. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
She'll be 3 in a few days...I showed her pictures and she liked them, haha...I also told her mommy wouldn't have to brush her hsir anymore, she loved that...her hair tangles so bad...I literally have to brush it 2-3 times a day to keep it from matting...poor girl acts like it's torture because of the tangles...

Quoting tansyflower:

sure if they wanted it!  how old is your kid?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Why not?

NunyaBizzness
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

no

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I would consult a professional, and a good one with experience, not a hair cuttery stylist. Two seems a little young. Locks are a commitment, and they can be high maintenance at times, and toddlers can be messy. Those would be my only drawbacks, but it's your kid and if it works for you guys than go for it. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on May. 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I feel so bad for her, I never knew hair could tangle like that, haha...

My SO doesn't care, he likes them...his family would have the issue, but I'm starting to think that they should just get over it, haha...

Quoting lalaboosh:

My daughter's hair is like that, too. I'm tempted to dread her hair, but my husband really isn't into them. :(

If no one important objects you should do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Just remember that if you guys do the locks, when she's over them, there is only one way to get rid of them. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

She'll be 3 in a few days...I showed her pictures and she liked them, haha...I also told her mommy wouldn't have to brush her hsir anymore, she loved that...her hair tangles so bad...I literally have to brush it 2-3 times a day to keep it from matting...poor girl acts like it's torture because of the tangles...

Quoting tansyflower:

sure if they wanted it!  how old is your kid?

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on May. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Her hair will section itself and start to lock within a day and a half if I don't keep up with the brushing...

Quoting Kitschy:

If their hair did it naturally then I would consider it. There are dredlock forums that have a lot of info on them.

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I'd get them done buy a pro. but keep in mind that if she decides she doesn't want them they generally have to be cut off. Thats why I'd wait for her to be older; so she fully understands. I got mine when I was 2 and had had a melt down at 5 when I had to have my head basically shaved because I didn't want them anymore.

moniagee
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM

a david.jpg

This is my ds and his locks. I love them! But it is a big commitment and a costly one. My ds gets his locks twisted every 2 weeks and it costs me $75. For my dh, it costs $100. Just think about it first, because once they lock, they can only be cut out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I'm not going to say not to let your kid have them but I'd never let mine have them, I absolutely hate the look.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN