Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dreadlocks on a child...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm thinking of letting my 2 year old's hair lock...it naturally starts locking up immediately if I don't brush it at least twice a day...so I'm just going to let it go...

Any tips?

Would you let your child have dreadlocks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on May. 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is not brushing it for 2 days...there's one lock starting in the middle (what looks like the rat's nest, haha) and a big one underneath...

Quoting Kitschy:

If their hair did it naturally then I would consider it. There are dredlock forums that have a lot of info on them.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Ewe, no way!  First of all, why would you not brush your child's hair for two freaking days?  Second, if you want to be lazy, get her hair cut short.  *SMDH at how lazy some people are!*

Jade_Lufercus
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I don't know, the one guy I knew that had dredlocks always smelled funny. Unless he did it wrong.

Kitschy
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:32 PM

OMG her hair is gorgeous! How about no poo, or cowashing? My dd cowashes and we brush it once in the morning and once before bed to help with the tangles.

Quoting LucyMom08:

This is not brushing it for 2 days...there's one lock starting in the middle (what looks like the rat's nest, haha) and a big one underneath...

Quoting Kitschy:

If their hair did it naturally then I would consider it. There are dredlock forums that have a lot of info on them.

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Im white and thats my hair. If I dont brush it during the day I'll wake up with tight dreads

Quoting LucyMom08:

She'll be 3 in a few days...I showed her pictures and she liked them, haha...I also told her mommy wouldn't have to brush her hsir anymore, she loved that...her hair tangles so bad...I literally have to brush it 2-3 times a day to keep it from matting...poor girl acts like it's torture because of the tangles...

Quoting tansyflower:

sure if they wanted it!  how old is your kid?

GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on May. 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM
This. You're going to end up with ratty nasty mess if you let it lock on its own.

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

I wouldnt just let it lock though, get it done properly

Batmansmamma
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM
If dreads smell it's from neglect or ignorance.

Quoting Jade_Lufercus:

I don't know, the one guy I knew that had dredlocks always smelled funny. Unless he did it wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM
No but if you want to why not as long as you take care of them they can look ok
areles
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM
i love dreadlocks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I would, but only if he wanted it (none of my boys ever wanted their hair that way.. :(   ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured