Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dreadlocks on a child...

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm thinking of letting my 2 year old's hair lock...it naturally starts locking up immediately if I don't brush it at least twice a day...so I'm just going to let it go...

Any tips?

Would you let your child have dreadlocks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Replies (71-78):
angel_eyez
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM
No way would i do locks on a girl that young. Just cut it short or make a braid daily. Learn some styles instead of letting it hang loose. Youtube is your friend. Believe me.
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM
If my child truly wanted it, I'd let them make the decision once they understand its way more than just a fashion statement. It's a lifestyle, And an expensive one.

I'd never make that decision for my daughters. They're young & love my hair, but they don't truly grasp that this is a lifetime commitment for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedMammaof2
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM
No they're too much maintenance.
supercarp

They are hard to keep clean. It is harder to be sure not to get cradle cap forming. You could be asking for some scalp problems.

ajdahd13

No I don't think so. I'd probably just cut it. 

Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Brush her hair. I see no locs forming, just a tangle.

Her hair texture would not even be ideal for neat looking locs.

Quoting LucyMom08:

This is not brushing it for 2 days...there's one lock starting in the middle (what looks like the rat's nest, haha) and a big one underneath...

Quoting Kitschy:

If their hair did it naturally then I would consider it. There are dredlock forums that have a lot of info on them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yikesitsmindy
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

if i saw a 3 yo girl with nasty, nappy, unwashed natural locks i would think about it. I don't have a problem with dreadlocks on a child, but just not brushing it so it starts locking is a gross thing to do to a child. An adult can make the decision to take that on.

Quoting LucyMom08:

CPS? Seriously?

Quoting yikesitsmindy:

If you get it done by a pro or learned how to do it properly yourself, sure. But it is A LOT more than stopping brushing your hair. If I saw a 3yo with nappy natural locks, I would probably want to call cps on you. I know that sounds extreme, but honestly dreadlocks a lot if work.

yikesitsmindy
by on May. 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM

THIS! Cut her hair short if you cant manage to brush it once a day.

Quoting Litlmama87:

Brush her hair. I see no locs forming, just a tangle.

Her hair texture would not even be ideal for neat looking locs.

Quoting LucyMom08:

This is not brushing it for 2 days...there's one lock starting in the middle (what looks like the rat's nest, haha) and a big one underneath...

Quoting Kitschy:

If their hair did it naturally then I would consider it. There are dredlock forums that have a lot of info on them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN