Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Regarding your appearance...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies

...I will attempt to word this very carefully so it's taken in the context intended.

Okay, we all have our own individual preferences when it comes to our appearance. Some of us spend lots of time on our hair, makeup, and clothes and it shows. Others are perfectly happy without makeup and not doing much with their hair and are content to not wear trendy clothes. Both are fine.  All that really matters is that you are happy with yourself.

Now, I'm one of those that is made up. Makeup, nails painted, hair done with heat and product, hair colored, jewelry, trendy clothes and heels. Yeah, it takes up a lot of time in the mornings, but I like feeling like a million bucks. It's just how I am. Occasionally, I try not wearing much makeup, doing less with my hair and wearing yoga pants and sneakers......Unless I'm going to the gym or cleaning the house, I just can't do it. I feel incomplete and I just don't have that confident feeling I get from my usual appearance.

So, here's my question. If you're one of those who doesn't do all the makeup, hair, nails, clothes, etc....but still feels pretty and confident, how do you do it? Me personally, I look in the mirror and think, "Some eyeliner will enhance my eyes and I'll look better." or "There's no need for my hair to be this lifeless when I could do a little magic with the roll brush and some hairspray." or "A litte shimmer right there would really pop." Do you ever think these things but just not mess with it? Or do you actually dislike using stuff like this?

I will add that I'm kinda like this with everything. I'm always looking for ways to make things better, prettier, more efficient, more attractive, etc.....not just limited to my appearance. My personality is to make things better than they started out.

So what makes you not want to beautify as much as people like myself?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

BUMP!

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on May. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I just have enough confidence in myself to know I don't have to wear make up to look good. I am not one to go out in public in PJ's though I always have on nice clothing and jewelry and my hair is done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
phoebe81
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

For me personally, I find women who are really made up to be less attractive. I don't like how I look with tons of makeup and product on my face and hair, either. I'm happy with a quick blowdry and straighten, a BB cream on my face, eye shadow and eye liner when I want to look a little more done up. I just think natural is more attractive, as a personal preference. 

As far as clothes, we don't have a lot of money so I think I'd wear nicer/trendier clothes if I could afford them. I do like nice outfits and accessories.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
This sounds mean-but I don't mean it too- when I wear that stuff I feel fake. On the other hand I've always been a jeans tshirt person, so it feels weird to be done up. And I just don't care that much, as long as I'm in my weight range and in well fitting clothes that's all I really worry about.
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I personally like to take the time to get dressed and look good in the morning. I am also one of the worlds lucky few who loves my hair when it dries naturally and I only wear makeup when I go out. The only makeup I wear is powder and mascara, sometimes eyeliner. O have always been like this. The only thing I'm not happy about is my weight but I am working on that.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on May. 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I grab my eyeliner every morning and just go to town.
I'd rather look like a raccoon than sans make-up xD 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I'm beautiful just the way I am. My husband finds me extremely attractive. It took me years and years to accept that I am not a conventional beauty. I shave my head and I LOVE it. I get comments on how well I look with it all the time. Makeup leads to clogged poor and pimples for me. I'll occasionally wear powder but that's it.

I don't paint my fingernails because I use pulse ox monitors and they can't pick up my HR and O2 sats with fingernail polish.

As far as clothes? I wear what I love. If someone else doesn't like it? Fuck them. They aren't me

TigOlBitties
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I used to be like you...thinking I couldn't possibly face the world without primping first.

What happened was over the years I gained more and more confidence and I actually feel note confident now with minimal makeup/primping than when I spend tons of time on my appearance.

How old are you? You don't have to answer if you don't want...I am 26 now but I was like you probably from about highschool until a year or so after college.

Don't get me wrong, I will still go all out if I'm going out or to a formal occasion, but I have too many other things going on now to worry about than my looks/perfection. I did all that stuff when I had the time. Lol

ETA - I still dress nice & accentuate my figure but I don't need pounds of makeup to make my clothes look good on me. I just make sure I stick to my workouts and don't let my body go. That's the easy part!
SophieBeth17
by on May. 6, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I'm the same way as you OP. So I am interested to see others answers. Here's a bump

mommaponch
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM
I feel as though make up is a cover or a fix. So the more I put on the more I am telling the world how unacceptable my face is. I see someone covered in make up and I assume they think there is something wrong with the face they were given.

A little make up to highlight can be lovely, a lot looks like a mask or a shield you're hiding behind in my opinion
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN