Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

the saddest, most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 749 Replies
66 moms liked this

I am an RN and work in our smalltown hospital ER.

Last night we had a elderly woman come in, she was unresponsive and had been down for 30 minutes by the time the ambulance arrived at our hospital.

We worked her, but there was literally nothing we could do.

The entire time there was this elderly man; who appeared so lost, so broken, holding his hat and just standing there. The parmedic said he had held her hand the entire time and only let go to get off the ambulance. We wouldn't let him back in the room while we were working on her.

The doctor then went and told him there was was nothing he could do to bring her back. He let out the most gutwrenching sob I have ever heard. If a heart could break, the sound of his sobs would have shattered mine. The doctor helped him sit down and explained what happened but he was not listening..he just wanted to see his wife.

So we let him and for hours that man sat and held her hand. Finally, we had to tell him it was time to say goodbye. It just broke me. I sat out in the waiting room with him. He told me stories about his lovely lady and how they had such a wonderful day that day. I asked him if he wanted me to call anyone to come get him and he said no, there was no one. His children lived out of state and his siblings were gone. He'd just call a cab. I asked if he wanted me to call his minister, and he said no. He simply wanted to go home.

I felt like the biggest asshole because I had no choice but to let this poor man go home in a cab---- alone.  In the end, you can tell it pained him to leave his wife behind..but we helped him in the cab and I gave him the biggest hug and told him that I am so incredibly sorry for his loss. I had to fight back tears. He didn't want to leave her there, he felt lost without her, and he was going home, opening the door to a house, without her in it. ;(

I keep thinking about this man and haven't really slept all that good today because everytime I try, I see his eyes and how completely broken he was. Remembering how he said he had no one and just how alone he was.

Would it be OK of me to maybe attend his wife's showing? For him? As an ER nurse, we don't get the joy of bonding with our patients, and even though we couldn't save his wife, I just feel like I developed a connection with this man even though I only talked to him for roughly 30 minutes but watched him nearly the entire time he was in our ER.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
highlandmum
by Spunky on May. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM
233 moms liked this

You have me in tears.  It was so nice of you to be there with this man in his time of need.  Honestly I think he would love if you showed up at the showing.  He would love to know there are still people in this world like you out there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM
25 moms liked this
My eyes just watered. That is exactly why I refuse to continue with Nursing School. Stories like this break my heart.

I would be there for him. Maybe YOU can develop a friendship with him.. Be his person he can talk to.

I would.
Jessie3398
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
You made me cry :o( I don't see how attending the viewing wouldn't be ok that's just so sad.
KRIZZ25
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
7 moms liked this
YES I WOULD.. THAT'S SHOWS U CARE AND U MITE NEED IT AS WELL .JMO.IT,S NOT HOW LONG WE HAVE KNOW SOMEONE IT HOW WE FEEL ABOUT THEM ..TIME IS ONLY TIME..IF IT SIN UR HART TO GO ..THAN GO..U MITE END UP LURING SOMETHING OR FINDING A NEW FRIEND.
babygirl4326
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM
7 moms liked this

So heartbreaking to read, I would attend the wake if I were you. It might show him that you don't consider your job just "a job", and maybe you could offer more support.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
4 moms liked this

As long as it isn't against some type of hospital policy then I'd go.  He would probably appreciate the support.  

It so sad when the elderly lose their other half.  Watching my great grandfather and my great grandmother's funeral was god awful--he died 10 months later and I'm surprised he held on that long...:( 

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG that is so sad.  It breaks my heart.  My grandparents were like that. 

In all honesty, I think that's nice of you to want to attend and I don't see anything wrong in it.  I know when my grandma passed away, some of the nurses from the hospital had attended her wake.  It was touching.

TheDoctorsWife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

simple frown

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Holy crap Im sobbing :/

I think you should go

Jcothrine
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this

i think you should go if you feel moved to do so.. i am sure that would be a great comfort to him..

JC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)