Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Wetting his clothes at 5 years old

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
  • 24 Replies

My SS will be 6 in December and he still pee's in his pants. Is this normal? The thing is, when he wets his pants, he will go and change his clothes and try and hide the wet clothes because he knows better or he will just continue to play in wet clothes and don't tell anyone. At what age do kids stop wetting their clothes?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Is it an everyday sort of thing? Or does it get busy and forget. Accidents happen even at 6, but on a daily basis its not normal. Maybe he doesn't have the urge to go and gets overly full and it comes out?

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

When was he potty trained? Is he doing it at home when he's too busy playing to stop and go pee? It could be that... or maybe a bladder problem. Or it could be stress if there have been some big changes in his life. HAs this been going on for awhile, or did it just start recently?

Wetting the bed at 6; or having accidents is "normal" But I'm not sure about just wetting clothes in general. I would suggest going to the doctor.

YzmaRocks
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
My son was 4.5 before he stopped doing it. He still misses occasionally and has to change but I never make a big deal out of it. He is also autistic and I am just happy he is potty trained.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM

He doesn't tell anyone out of FEAR.  How sad.

Yes this in fact can be very normal, especially for boys.  But many kids have a smaller bladder that hasn't quite grown w/them yet, or they don't want to stop what they are doing to use the bathroom & accidents happen.

He could also have kidney issues so I would still have him checked medically.

But please do not freak out or punish him for it!

spooky415
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:10 PM
My son has peed himself a few times because he didnt want to stop playing. He doesn't really get in trouble-although I admit I've certainly not hidden that I've been annoyed-but I make him rinse them in the sink before I wash them.

But I find that now that he's around other kids more he doesn't do it as much. I'm guessing its bc he doesnt want to be teased.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Maybe it's a bladder issue. My husband is 27 and still wets the bed! Luckily they have medications to help with that. My son had a couple accidents at that age because he was playing and didn't want to stop playing...
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Is it an everyday sort of thing? Or does it get busy and forget. Accidents happen even at 6, but on a daily basis its not normal. Maybe he doesn't have the urge to go and gets overly full and it comes out?

It's not every day but I would say maybe 3 days out of the week if we catch it. With 5 kids, I don't always notice that he has changed clothes or if it dries and he gets in the bath, I won't find out until I'm doing laundry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Lol. Dramatic aren't we??

My daughter does the same thing. She hides her clothes too. I'm sure it's more from embarrassment than fear

Quoting Anonymous:

He doesn't tell anyone out of FEAR.  How sad.

Yes this in fact can be very normal, especially for boys.  But many kids have a smaller bladder that hasn't quite grown w/them yet, or they don't want to stop what they are doing to use the bathroom & accidents happen.

He could also have kidney issues so I would still have him checked medically.

But please do not freak out or punish him for it!

Thomasmom07
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
As long at its not a daily basis It's pretty normal. My ds will also be 6 in December and he has his accidents when he is playing hard and forgets to go. I know how frustrating it can get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:12 PM

It usually happens when he gets busy playing. It has been going on for a while. He didn't fully potty train until after age 3

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

When was he potty trained? Is he doing it at home when he's too busy playing to stop and go pee? It could be that... or maybe a bladder problem. Or it could be stress if there have been some big changes in his life. HAs this been going on for awhile, or did it just start recently?

Wetting the bed at 6; or having accidents is "normal" But I'm not sure about just wetting clothes in general. I would suggest going to the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)