Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's barely 6!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM
  • 272 Replies
1 mom liked this
DD turned 6 a week ago. Her end of the year field trip for Kindergarten is to a public zoo an hour and a half away. They're only allowing 4 randomly chosen parents to chaperone, I am not one of them. Today the teacher informed me parents are not allowed to travel separately and meet up with the group. While I understand their need to limit those they pay or take responsibility for, it rubs me the wrong way that they want to tell me I cannot supervise my own daughter or travel to be nearby in case of illness or injury. DD is a good kid, but a kid nonetheless and all it would take is her glancing back at the tigers one time, while a parent, busily supervising 5 other kids moved on, for her to get separated from the group. Nevermind the obvious logistics of if she gets sick or injured she's there and myself, along with her Heath history is here.

Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? DD is not going, would you let your child?
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiffanydshives
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
No way would I let my kid go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM
11 moms liked this
Go anyway
What are they going to do?
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM
She will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
If I was as overprotective as you, I wouldn't let her go.
AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

no, it's actually a rule at our school.  a field trip is for students NOT for their parents if they are not chaperoning.

my DS is autistic, and there are still no rule bending... unless of course, 

danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this

There is no way our school would stop me from attending any kind of trip outside of the school.

Even when they have enough chaperones, hubby or I go.

They can't stop you. Just go. She's your kid!

buttercup627
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
5 moms liked this
I'd let her go. At six most kids understand the importance of staying with the group and not going off with strangers. They can't really stop you from going to the zoo either but I wouldn't be too worried
rliperote2
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Shell be fine dont worry!!  

ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son went on his first field trip last month and he had a great time,he's 4yrs old. Shes gonna take a fieldtrip every year at school and u can't always go with her,get used to it now and don't worry so much about it.
AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this

in our school they can ban children from attending any further field trips for their duration of their time at said school

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Go anyway
What are they going to do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured