Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why I hate the no child left behind act

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this
I teach highs school trigonometry. One of my students is doing horribly in the class. She's just bad at math and does not apply herself.

I was expecting her to fail her final just like every other test she's taken in my class. She ended up with a 77 C.

I asked her how she did so well on that test but not the homework, class work, or my tests. Her answer was simple: the final was multiple choice.

She knew the very basics of the problems but she didn't know how to truly solve them. So she solved them as much she could then picked the answer that looked closest. But what about the ones you couldn't solve at all? I asked.

"Simple", she said," look at 21. A is 1/4, B is 2/3, C is -1/4, and D is 3/4. Obviously the answer is A or C so now I hve a 50/50 chance of getting it right compared to guessing 1 out of 4. Not to mention its been proven that the answer is most commonly C"

I was impressed and sad. She has been taught to pass a test. She does not know trig. She knows how to take a test.

And that's why the no child left behind act pisses me off. This is what it's done to my students.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I've never been a supporter of this act.

LucyHourglass
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I fail to understand how this is the result of no child left behind
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I know this is a stupid question, but what does the act do ...like what's the basics of it, my kids are still little so I'm not too familiar with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Because of the standardized testing.

Quoting LucyHourglass:

I fail to understand how this is the result of no child left behind
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad was a teacher for 30+ years and I have several other relatives that are involved in the education field. I don't think any of them like it. I personally hate it. I think that more parents should have a problem with it too.
waffa
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM

How does NCLB affect kids other than dumbing down standards to which almost any child can get by?

(I'm still fuming over Phonics; just "sownd it owt")

and yes, when all else fails choose "C"

NoahandEliza
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:59 PM
It's all about the state tests. Kids are taught how to pass them or just memorize the material that will be on them.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know this is a stupid question, but what does the act do ...like what's the basics of it, my kids are still little so I'm not too familiar with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a lot to it.

The main thing that I'm pointing out in my post is the standardized testing. Schools have to have a certain percentage of students passing the state mandated test. Because of this, teachers are under a lot of pressure to make sure these kids pass the test regardless if they truly know the material.

Quoting Anonymous:

tifbrown
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Multiple choice got my ass through high school with minimal effort.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
To be honest, I don't know ANY ONE who likes it lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My dad was a teacher for 30+ years and I have several other relatives that are involved in the education field. I don't think any of them like it. I personally hate it. I think that more parents should have a problem with it too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)