Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeschooling makes me think of

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
Wife swap. And it never works out very smoothly on there. I'm sorry but it does
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM
3 moms liked this

You should stop watching edited TV.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I get limited channels at work

Quoting Anonymous:

You should stop watching edited TV.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
JasonsMom2007
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Good thing that's not an accurate portrayal of homeschool families.
ummcarter
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

LOL We homeschool and for us its all about taking complete responsibility for our children's education. It can be the best choice for many families but not all. The thing about it is when you homeschool your priorities will be by necessity be different than a schools priorities. I do not need to take roll and other administrative tasks that are vital to assuring that children are supervised and safe. I don't need to make sure my kids learns American history in 4th grade because I don't have to manage the educational track of thousands of children. We can learn it in 2nd. Or 10th, or whenever. 

For that matter I don't need to assign grades to my children because I do not need to make sure that I can keep track of hundreds of different children's progress. 

In fact I don't need to have end of year tests, I don't need to take time out to teach the importance of such test, how to take them etc. 

Instead I can spend that time teaching my children how to teach themselves anything they want and/or need to learn. I can take 6 months to teach mastery of money skills and 2 weeks of multiplication if that's what my kids need. If my kids are interested in the evolution of the laws of physics, even though its still a minor theory we can learn all about it, today. All day if we want.

Public school is not evil. I am greatful that if something were to happen and I needed to rely on someone else to educate my son I could send him and he would get an ok education.  I always attended public school and I'm fine. I had a few wonderful teachers that really helped me grow as a person.  

Homeschool is the ideal choice for us and for many many families. There are many successful, contributing members of society that were home educated. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
3 moms liked this

That's like saying teen mom shows are how people really parent. 

blessedwith
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, because a show that takes 2 opposite and EXTREME aspects of family life and throw them together, for the drama, is an accurate potrayal of what happens in ALL families across the US.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Haha what you wrote is basically what she said on the show. I hope you do a better job though... Her kids were like 3 grade levels behind.

Quoting ummcarter:

LOL We homeschool and for us its all about taking complete responsibility for our children's education. It can be the best choice for many families but not all. The thing about it is when you homeschool your priorities will be by necessity be different than a schools priorities. I do not need to take roll and other administrative tasks that are vital to assuring that children are supervised and safe. I don't need to make sure my kids learns American history in 4th grade because I don't have to manage the educational track of thousands of children. We can learn it in 2nd. Or 10th, or whenever. 

For that matter I don't need to assign grades to my children because I do not need to make sure that I can keep track of hundreds of different children's progress. 

In fact I don't need to have end of year tests, I don't need to take time out to teach the importance of such test, how to take them etc. 

Instead I can spend that time teaching my children how to teach themselves anything they want and/or need to learn. I can take 6 months to teach mastery of money skills and 2 weeks of multiplication if that's what my kids need. If my kids are interested in the evolution of the laws of physics, even though its still a minor theory we can learn all about it, today. All day if we want.

Public school is not evil. I am greatful that if something were to happen and I needed to rely on someone else to educate my son I could send him and he would get an ok education.  I always attended public school and I'm fine. I had a few wonderful teachers that really helped me grow as a person.  

Homeschool is the ideal choice for us and for many many families. There are many successful, contributing members of society that were home educated. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Teen mom accurately depicts the attitudes of most teen moms I have met or known. Ha

Quoting Anonymous:

That's like saying teen mom shows are how people really parent. 

Megara
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
It's great that you can take one example from a show who's whole point is to show extremes and use it to stereotype an entire group of people. Way to go!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)