Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public School or Home School??

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
  • 298 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Which one would you lean towards the most?

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 336

View Results

Does your kid(s) go to public school or home school?

What do/don't you like about it?

Would you change schools if you could?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM
10 moms liked this

Public, for many reasons. I am not a teacher. I have no desire to be at home with my children 24/7, I have a career that I love. I am not qualified to teach my children. They love the social aspect of it, as well as the sports and other activities that they can join only because they attend the school. We researched school districts thoroughly before moving here, and we love it, though of course, like all schools, it has its issues. But we teach our children to be smart, careful, and safe. They are strong children, they don't give in to peer pressure, and have learned how to deal with and handle it. They have excellent social skills and a diverse group of friends. They do do quite a bit of extra study on their own, and we encourage that. 

FrozenReesesCup
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Public school. I don't want ds to go out into the world with no experience on how to deal with different types of people
Ashleeduhh
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Home school is a lot better now than it used to be. you can be part of co ops where groups of home schooling families go on "field trips" and obviously you can put your kid in activities through the community instead of the school

it isnt for me, though. I think id definitely pick where I move based on the school district because i wouldnt want dd going to some horrible school but there are good school and i think its important for a kid to go to school and be independant and learn to make choices for themselves..you cant shelter them their whole lives and the few kids i met who were home schooled were extremely awkward and socially inept

Also, I am sorry but i dont want to home school. I dont want to be at home all the time with my daughter. I love her to death but I want to have a job and a life, not just be with her all the time. I think school is a good thing. Just hope its not an awful school district.

fairymom82
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM
3 moms liked this
My public school experience with my kids was an extremely bad one. We have filed a lawsuit it was so bad. I have well over 79,000 in med bills thus far for my youngest and its still adding up
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM
6 moms liked this

Wanting to keep your son in a bubble is not a good reason to homeschool.

Kylie819
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM
6 moms liked this
My daughter goes to private school. It's the best of both worlds, IMO. Small class sizes, better curriculum, more disciplined, etc.

If you go the homeschooling route, look into homeschool groups in your area.
zoo003
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids all go to charter schools (which technically are public schools, but they have their own teaching methods/models/styles/etc) and we love them.  Our youngest 2 go to one that is k-8th grade and our oldest goes to one that is 5th-12th grade.  We love that they are small classes (25 students max per grade, but many have less than this number), individualized teaching, much higher expectations, not teaching to tests, but for understanding, etc.  Our kids have really excelled within these environments.  I don't know if this would be an option for you, but you might want to check into it.  Just remember, like everything else, there are great ones (like the two that we have our children enrolled in) and horrible ones.  Good luck with whatever decision that you make.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
My son goes to a charter school it is not listed so I did not vote but I prefer a charter school it is set up run and operated like private school only is publicly funded. I am a low income mom and my son got in on his own merits It is a very prestigious school.
NikLvsNick
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Public school. I have no patience in teaching them what they need to know. helping with homework I can do. I made sure to get them in a top 10 school in our state. They have made tons of friends (and most live in our townhouse complex). I get the day to myself to clean and start dinner and run any errands without having to lug two kids around.

I get a call from the nurse once a week that annoys the hell out of me. Usually because it's just letting me know that my kid fell on the playground and they're ok and an incident report will be in their bookbag. I appreciate it but sometimes it's too much.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Our two older children both attended the same traditional public high school as they did grade school. Both graduated from that same high school, one in 2005 and the other in 2011.

Our youngest child has been educated here at home since she was in fifth grade. For sixth grade, we enrolled her in Connections Academy, which is a public school online. She'll be starting her fifth year with CA in August and is finishing up her freshmen year on May 30th.

She does very well in this type of home education environment. She is very social active outside of school and also volunteers.

There is nothing we do not like about this school. It's been a good fit for her on all levels. She doesn't miss out on peer interaction in a classroom setting and because she attends daily Live Lessons (online classroom) for each of her subjects and again, her social interaction is done outside of her normal classes which works best for her..

The distractions of a traditional ps class room setting no longer have to affect her. She has gone from D's or worse in fifth grade to all A's and B's for the past several years.

She will graduate from high school in 2016 and no, we're not changing from this school. She loves it and so do we.

Quoting BabyBoy080112:

Does your kid(s) go to public school or home school?

What do/don't you like about it?

Would you change schools if you could?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)