Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public School or Home School??

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Which one would you lean towards the most?

Options:

Home School

Public School

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 336

View Results

Does your kid(s) go to public school or home school?

What do/don't you like about it?

Would you change schools if you could?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
BabyBoy080112
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM

My bad...?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Wanting to keep your son in a bubble is not a good reason to homeschool.

zandizane
by New Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are homeschooled. My oldest son started out in PS but began to get bullied at the end of kindergarten. We changed schools 3 times and he continued to get bullied even though our school district has a strict "No bullying policy" SMH. They didn't do crap to stop it! I pulled my 3 older kids out of public school and preschool and have been homeschooling since November. It isn't true that your child won't be socialized if you homeschool, there are co-ops and sports :) Good luck!

CherylAnne9
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM
3 moms liked this

We started with public school and now homeschool. 

We home school because....

The public school has ONE way to teach....not EVERY child learns the same way. Mine did not fit in. 

They socialize with all ages of people...not just bratty 1st and 3rd graders.

They are not told they are failing because other kids are learning differently.

If I had the money I would look into private school and hope to do that later on when my husband finishes school because I know they would like it and it would allow them to learn how they learn.

Public school is good for some...but only if your child learns how the government wants them to. 

I have one son that has aspergers and had very HIGH anxiety issues in public school to the point he would do nothing to avoid getting the wrong answere. This is a kid that is in 3rd grade and could skip several grades if we wanted him too. He was physically sick to the point his doctor was testing him for one thing after the other including cancers. Turned out to be anxiety. 

My 1st grader was spending more time in the principles office becasue he got in trouble so much. He was bored!! They refused to give him extra work even when HE asked for harder stuff. He has gone through his work to the point he is a grade ahead of his friends since home schooling.

TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
2 moms liked this
We will be homeschooling, and are you sure your cons list is accurate?

*He won't get the social interaction he needs
If he's very social after school activities and homeschool groups, can easily remedy that.
If he's more of a shy type then the social interaction in a school environment can be more detrimental than good.

*What kid wants to spend 24/7 with their Mom?
Why would he be with you 24/7? My 4 year old isn't..

*He won't be able to do the projects and activities kids do in public school
Sure he can, there are all sorts of classes, programs and homeschool days available. Homeschool coops often have a lot of great activities available.

tennisgal
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
4 moms liked this

We homeschool our oldest 2 of 4 boys and would make the exact same decision over and over again.

DH works evenings and would literally go all week and not see the kids if they went to traditional school...it wasn't a sacrifice we were willing to make. He gets an hour to spend with them right after lunch doing science experiments, building something (they just finished a monsterous swing set) or reading. Just very focused family time, if that makes sense....and I get to do my work. 

You need to decide what sort of socialization is important and beneficial to your child. Is it sitting in a classroom with 24 other kids who are only there b/c of where their birthdays fall in the calendar? Our libraries offer several activities (free) and our boys play sports and visit their friends. It is not important to me that they spend 7hrs/day with a room full of other kids their same age. Their interactions with other kids and adults are meaningful and purposeful. There are co-ops and playgroups if you are interested. 

I love that I can snuggle on the couch with the boys and read Treasure Island for an hour if we choose to. I love that we can pop in an episode of "World's Toughest Fixes" to give them an idea when they can't figure out their K'Nex based train bridge. I can pick and choose which books and curriculum best suit each child's learning ability. 

Please feel free to ask any other questions that I may have left out. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Private

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Look at your first 3 reasons for wanting to homeschool and think about it.

Quoting BabyBoy080112:

My bad...?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

pce68
by Patti on May. 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some "schools" for homeschooled kids, in some areas. For example, a church near us has homeschooling classes. You can sign a child up for one or 6, depending on how much you want to pay. Each class is like 45 minutes once a week. Then a friend I know sends her teenage sons to a homeschool academy, I guess you call it. I don't remember the name if it, but they go there on Tues from 9 - 1, I think, and it teaches math and literature, maybe some science too. And then it gives the kids all the work that they need to complete for the week. Other subjects the parent has to teach, so that gives her boys a real teacher to help with the more difficult subjects, and a chance to be with other kids, and a chance for their mom to get a break. She was homeschooling her other 3 kids, but she recently put them in a private school that goes every day from 9 - 2 and uses homeschool classical curriculum. It is called Dominion Christian Academy, I think. Anyway, programs like that allow you a little bit of the best of both worlds.

And some of the things you think a child would miss by homeschooling are now available to homeschoolers. There are ways for them to be in an orchestra or band, to go to a prom, and have a graduation ceremony.

Another option is cyber school, where they do public school at home on the computer. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on May. 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to like. What happened? Why the dr bills?

Quoting fairymom82:

My public school experience with my kids was an extremely bad one. We have filed a lawsuit it was so bad. I have well over 79,000 in med bills thus far for my youngest and its still adding up

BabyBoy080112
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Rrrrr...It does kinda sound like I want to just coop him up.

I just want the best for him. I know how many bad influences are in public schools. Public schools are even dangerous now. At least I'll know that he's not doing drugs at school and having sex in the bathroom. Anything can happen when you have the wrong crowd around you.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Look at your first 3 reasons for wanting to homeschool and think about it.

Quoting BabyBoy080112:

My bad...?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN