Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dog bit someone today. What should I do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

LIttle history first. 

Ive had her for her entire life, minus first 8 weeks. She has always been a great, loving dog to my 6 year old son and I. Never shown any aggression towards us. The only time she has shown aggression towards a person was when the plumber, who she had never met, went to walk into my house when it was just her, my son and my neice in the room. My sister and I were in the kitchen. When he walked in, she growled and got up as to go after him. My sister grabbed her before she has any chance. That is the only time she has been aggressive towards people.

Now, back to biting. Today, my son had the two neighbor girls over playing outside. I was outside as well. One of the girls had to go pee, so I told her to go ahead and go inside, not thinking anything of it. My dog was sound asleep in front of the door inside. The girl opened the door and immediately reached in to pet my dog. My dog woke up, saw her(hadnt met her before), and bit her hand. She didnt actualy bite down though. It more looked like she went to bite her, then realized what she was doing, stopped, and immediately cowered down, but when she did that, her tooth got the little girls hand and punctured her skin. No other marks. The puncture wasnt very bad, minor wound. Rinsed it off, the girl was fine. I told her parents what happened, they werent upset. 

BUT my dog bite her. A CHILD. What should I do? She has never shown aggression towards people, especially kids before. My first thought was to put her down, but am I being too harsh? To quick to make that call? I mean, if I was woke up suddenly and there was some stranger reaching for me, Id probably freak too.  Any advice would help. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't let little kids run into the house anymore.

My dog doesn't like kids she doesn't know. I would never get rid of him because of it. This is his house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

When other people are around your house that your dog doesn't know it's best to cage them, or tie them up away from people. I wouldn't jump immediately to putting the dog down. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Nothing.  Children should be taught not to touch strange dogs.  Your dog doesn't know this girl.  They were put in protect mode and probably scared.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM
3 moms liked this

We don't keep a dog who bites... even once.  House rule.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I'd keep an eye on the dog and warn people in the future not to sneak up on her. I did the same thing as a small child to a friends dog and it bit me on the face. It wasn't trying to be mean, just defending itself. It had no idea I was there until I hugged it.

Have you noticed any other changes in behavior? I might consider a trip to the vet as well if you have. Just to make sure there isn't something else going on.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I'd put the dog in a crate or something when kids are going to be coming in and out of the house from now on. The dog seems to only be aggressive when someone walks into your home which is actually pretty scary if you think about it. Putting her away when you know people will be over is probably your best bet.

SaraD1989
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

My dog barks violently at strangers. We let those that will be coming over regularly, such as my boyfriend's brother and my parents, give her treats so she gets used to them. I wouldn't think anything of it. It's what dogs are supposed to do-protect their household.

thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM

have your dog checked by the vet incase the dog may not be feeling well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quoting shadow_lark:

I'd keep an eye on the dog and warn people in the future not to sneak up on her. I did the same thing as a small child to a friends dog and it bit me on the face. It wasn't trying to be mean, just defending itself. It had no idea I was there until I hugged it.

Have you noticed any other changes in behavior? I might consider a trip to the vet as well if you have. Just to make sure there isn't something else going on.

No, I have not noticed any other changes in her. She still the same ol' dog. 

chickieboom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM
How old is she? Depending on age and everything, it is possible she may have some hearing loss and was startled. Honestly, if it's just a scratch, nothing like this has happened before, and her parents arent making a big deal out of it, I would just keep an eye on her. I don't think you need to go to the extreme of PTD.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)