Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stranger Danger???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

I just got home from running errands. Caught the bus home – full of school kids and old pensioners. A 12yo girl is approached by 2 different elderly people. A male and a female. The male was overweight, but rather nice and simply asked how her day was, told her thankyou for lifting up the disabled seats for his wheelchair and left her alone. She glared at him like he asked her whether she was wearing panties or a thong. The elderly lady seemed almost drunk. She was asking the same 5 questions over and over again, How old are you, where do you go to school, where do you live, who do you live with? By the end of the twenty minute bus route I and the ten other people on the bus knew exactly how to get to this girls house and school and identify herself.At multiple times throughout the conversation the girl and the lady both admitted that they’d never seen each other before.

As the old lady got off the bus a young woman approached the 12yo; asked if she knew the old lady and when she said no, the girl asked her to never reveal such information again, that she needed to be more careful because the whole entire bus knew more details about her than we needed to know. The 12yo rolled her eyes and said “yeah…right” and got of the bus where the bus driver promptly turned around, told the young woman to mind her own business and that she had no right to try and “ruin the child’s innocence”. Apparently both the bus driver and the child believed that what the child had done was safe and harmless just because it was a woman the girl had chosen to reveal this information to.

I rung the bus company early this morning who said that as scary as this was there was nothing he could do about it because it was between the girl and her parents. So my question to you is this; what would your course of action be if this was your little girl on a public bus route telling ANY stranger where she lived, where her school was, etc? Or am I overreacting in worrying what this child was sharing? What would you do? Would you punish or talk? I don't even know what I would do if I found out my daughter was putting our family at risk like that.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mkingsley
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I would talk with my daughter!! It doesn't sound like she was purposely putting anyone in danger, just innocent trying to be friendly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Yeah that's how I felt too. But the information she was giving - It pretty much felt like I could go into her school, and pick her out. Or I could get off at her bus stop and find my way extremely easily to her house that's how much detail she was giving. It would be pretty easy for someone bad to find her or her house and do something to it :/ I prefer kids being innocent as much as the next person. But she seemed almost...Niave as to how much information was too much.

Quoting mkingsley:

I would talk with my daughter!! It doesn't sound like she was purposely putting anyone in danger, just innocent trying to be friendly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 7:15 AM
5 moms liked this
Id be tempted to pop up at her house and let her parents know exactly how you found it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I thought of this too. But then I thought of things like child abuse, or me being seen as the predetor and thought that I had better just erase the address from my mind :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Id be tempted to pop up at her house and let her parents know exactly how you found it.

NiCo86
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I am so thankful to live in a small town where the only buses are school buses!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Lol that's why I just wrote 'tempted' to do it because like you said in reality, they would probably think you were a stalker. Lol. Maybe drop an anonymous note on their doorstep? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I thought of this too. But then I thought of things like child abuse, or me being seen as the predetor and thought that I had better just erase the address from my mind :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM

An anonymous note sounds MORE creepy! Lol. Honestly I think in this situation all I can do is hope and pray that no 'bad people' overheard that conversation, that she learnt a lesson from the young woman, and wonder what on earth I can do to teach/drill into my kids that they do not do that behaviour themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol that's why I just wrote 'tempted' to do it because like you said in reality, they would probably think you were a stalker. Lol. Maybe drop an anonymous note on their doorstep? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

CampClan
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Would have really freaked her parents out if one of you (meaning the other riders) had showed up at her house later that day & told them their DD gave everyone directions on the bus! Maybe then she would understand the severity of the issue?

I have a hard time with stranger danger. I have always told my kids not to talk to strangers but then you have those elderly people who think it's okay to just walk up to completely unknown children & start talking to them in the store with you right there! How is that okay?! I'm standing right there so it's different? NO! In the past I have politely smiled & said "I'm sorry we're too busy to talk" & went on my way. I hate doing it because the person is old (& who knows if they have mental issues that make them forgetful). But as old as I am the older people I am talking about were raised in a time where children were not to speak unless spoken to & they certainly didn't have to worry about stranger danger like we do now!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 7:28 AM

I am dreaming of moving to a small town. We live in a big city so we have hundreds of bus/train services and this girl had travelled all the way from the city to downtown where her house is just so she can attend a private school. The bus company said, had it been a school bus he would have rung the school and explained the situation so that it could be adressed, but as it was on a public service he would have no idea how to even point out the student let alone find a solution.

Quoting NiCo86:

I am so thankful to live in a small town where the only buses are school buses!

mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Honestly. Stranger danger is far less likely than danger from someone you know. Her parents feel she's old enough to ride the bus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)