Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think Christianity is under attack?

Posted by   + Show Post

I saw this posted in another group: Crazy Christians think they are persecuted

Do you think Christianity is under attack, or is this a lot of nonsense?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (311-313):
Aislin
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Its met with skepticism because its not true. I'm really not trying to be mean about it at all. Its simply not true. 

I am glad that you live the life that is right for you and gives you much joy and satisfaction. I do the same. I believe everyone should.

Quoting olleo:

Bless my heart indeed, lol. It being a pro Christian article I knew it would be met with skepticism and that's ok.

I have lived and am living my life based on my Christian faith. If I'm right, when I die I get to go to Heaven and meet the creator of all things. Not to mention, seeing my loved ones again. If I'm wrong then I've spent life standing up for something I believe all the way to my soul. Either way, that's a win/win for me.

Quoting Aislin:

Oh bless your heart. That is not even close to what is happening. That is also not a real article. What I was looking for was an unbiased article with all sides, not a conservative tea party article that omitted half the story. I know you are going to believe this story until the cows come home so I am not going to waste my breathe with what is wrong with it. I do thank you for trying though.

Quoting olleo:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/05/01/Breaking-Pentagon-Confirms-Will-Court-Martial-Soldiers-Who-Share-Christian-Faith

Quoting Aislin:

Please link an article to this. I'm very interested

Quoting olleo:

Men and women in the military, the very people who fight for our freedom, now risk federal prison for sharing their Christain faith. It's only a matter of time before its illegal for the rest of us.

But Christians aren't surprised by this turn of events. The Bible told us it was coming for those of us who live by faith.

So persecute away. Just means I'm doing my best to live by the Word of God.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 38 on May. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Not to jump into the conversation, but while that is what "they" believe, the other side of things is what others believe.  Christians believe their freedoms are under attach, they believe certain things are wrong, they believe some things don't need to be covered in school, but other people BELIEVE that those thing do belong in school, they believe those things are okay, and they believe Christianity is false.  Everyone believes something, not always things that are the same as someone else.  One way of belief is not any less valid simply because you believe differently than they.  A lot of people say they hate Christians always telling them about their faith, feel it is shoving their beliefs on them, but did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe Christians feel that your beliefs are being shoved down their throats when you sit and spew about how killing babies (since that is how they view unborn children) and homosexuality (which is wrong according to the Bible) are perfectly okay and normal?  There are always two sides to every coin.  I think the issue is that Christians are concerned about the things trying to be passed that would limit their right to their beliefs in one way or another.  That some of their rights are thrown under the bus because someone else says they are invalid (like in the cases where Christian business owners have been sued for refusing service to gay couples).  Some of those ways are more subtle, and people like yourself would see it as being petty and selfish, while others are much more blatant, like punishing someone for talking to someone else about what they believe and why.  Put yourself in their shoes for a minute before you start saying whether their beliefs are any less valid than your own, maybe.

Quoting jojo_star:

You proved my point. THEY BELIEVE, and that is enough for them to try and force the world to live by their standards. They believe gay marriage will open the door to worse things. What worse things? And that is the same argument people used when interracial marriage was being fought for. They don't want a focus in school? I've yet to hear of a single school focusing on homosexuality. Covering it in history, yes, because it is a part of our history, and it is a part of society. And have you never taken a health or biology class? Those classes are all about straight marriage, the production of children, etc. There is a huge focus on straight marriage, because that is what most marriages still are. Who has ever said that straight isn't normal? I've never heard a single person, gay or straight, say that. Churches are exempt from marrying gays. But business can't deny someone service based on their religion or their skin color, so no, I don't think they should be allowed to deny someone service based on sexual orientation. And for that matter, do you know anyone who walks around saying, "I'm gay!"? Because I don't. Being gay isn't something you can see, and it doesn't change the color of their money or the fact that they are human beings. 

Again, they believe. So, since they believe, they feel like they have the right to force their views down everyone's throats. There is a huge focus on making abortion more accessible, since right wingers have managed to reduce the number of abortion providers, and add more and more ridiculous restrictions to getting an abortion every month. There is a huge push for more sexual education, and phasing out of abstinence only, which is what most Christians prefer. If anyone is pushing for a decrease of comprehensive sex ed, it's those same Christians who scream about abortion being murder. I've had an abortion. I spoke to a counselor who thoroughly discussed what would happen, side effects, possible complications, etc. I was also educated about my other choices. Planned parenthood has a website full of honest, factual information regarding abortion, adoption, and parenting. The only ones who spread lies and false information are pregnancy resource centers who will tell you that an abortion causes breast cancer and 97% of all women regret their abortions, both blatant lies. 

The world was never run on biblical principles. Some countries maybe, but never the whole world, and not even the majority. This was never a Christian country, it was founded on freedom of religion. I'm sure there are many Christians who are wonderful people and just want to live in peace. But there are a frightening amount who push and push to have their religion invade every aspect of our lives. They attack other beliefs, they put other beliefs down. I can't count how many times I've been verbally attacked, by Christians, for my beliefs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

From my observations, the biggest reasons that the non-crazy Christians oppose gay marriage is because they worry that it will open doors to things that they believe are worse or that they don't want it to be such a focus in schools (there are quite a few who have or are trying to include entire chapters on "gays in history" or that being a homosexual is a normal part of life and so on within classes like history and health, especially since it is not being balanced out by making equal statements about being straight is normal, too, or that perhaps so and so was gay but neglecting to on the same note state so and so over here was straight).  That topic is infinitely more complex than just whether homosexual marriage should be allowed, since many same sex marriage supporters are trying to use that to usher in things that would prevent Christian businesses and institutions from staying true to their beliefs in how they run their business.  As far as the abortion one goes, I have seen most "normal" Christians opposed to it because they believe that a life begins at conception and they don't want anymore of what they believe to be babies to be killed.  And with the abortions that are allowed, there seems to them to be an abundance of focus on making abortions easier to get and easier for kids to hide from their parents and less emphasis put on actually educating people on all of the after effects of abortion that as it stands are usually only lightly touched on if at all or on the options out there besides abortion.  Most Christians recognize that the world is no longer primarily run on the Bible's principles and simply want to have the freedom to live the way they want without someone constantly saying they are haters or close-minded and so on.  Unfortunately it is the people like Westbro (who don't actually have anything to do with Christianity or the Bible except in name and quote the Bible so selectively it would be like quoting the Star Spangled Banner and having it come out as Mary Had A Little Lamb.) or parents like the one you mentioned who get the attention and are really only a small fraction of the Christians in the country.

Quoting jojo_star:

The biggest two I can think of are abortion and gay marriage, both things that Christians fight hardest and loudest against, because it is against their beliefs, as written in their bible. I don't see how Christianity is being restricted in any way. We just recently had a little uproar in our school, because a parent was angry that there was no morning prayer, something they had had at their private school (this is a public school). School officials said, no morning prayer, because they are not a religious institution, but the child was free to pray all he or she wanted, provided they did not disturb others. That is what I am mainly talking about, things that Christians want, that not everyone wants, and then they turn around and scream "War on religion" as loud as they can, while at the same time lobbying for abortion to be made illegal, because it is against

THEIR religion, or for gays to not marry, again, because it is against THEIR religion. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Out of curiosity, what rules are based specifically on the Christian faith that aren't also common sense and decency?  It would seem, more than Christians callng for laws that are based on their ideals, there are Christians who are calling for laws that protect the freedom to have one's own beliefs (these same laws are being supported by non-Christians as well) and laws are being proposed and enacted that are designed to limit the freedoms of those who hold the Bible as the standard of how they live their life.

Quoting jojo_star:

It's nonsense. Just because someone doesn't want to live by their idea of right and wrong and doesn't want the laws of this country based on their idea of right and wrong does not mean they are being attacked or persecuted. If anything, Christians are attacking every and all religions.

jojo_star
by on May. 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

There are a lot of things that I don't agree with, based on my religion and beliefs. I don't expect the laws of this country to be in line with my beliefs. It would be wrong to expect my religion to dictate the actions of others. How is allowing a woman to make the choice to abort forcing anything on a christian? How is allowing two men or two women to marry forcing anything on Christians? They don't have to have an abortion. They don't have to marry the same sex. Christians though, they want to force women to make choices that they deem ok, adoption or parenting. They want to forbid same sex marriage. They don't have to think that abortion or gay marriage are ok. They can be against it all they want. They just have no right to try and make laws based on that, or to force everyone to live as they deem right. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Not to jump into the conversation, but while that is what "they" believe, the other side of things is what others believe.  Christians believe their freedoms are under attach, they believe certain things are wrong, they believe some things don't need to be covered in school, but other people BELIEVE that those thing do belong in school, they believe those things are okay, and they believe Christianity is false.  Everyone believes something, not always things that are the same as someone else.  One way of belief is not any less valid simply because you believe differently than they.  A lot of people say they hate Christians always telling them about their faith, feel it is shoving their beliefs on them, but did anyone ever stop to consider that maybe Christians feel that your beliefs are being shoved down their throats when you sit and spew about how killing babies (since that is how they view unborn children) and homosexuality (which is wrong according to the Bible) are perfectly okay and normal?  There are always two sides to every coin.  I think the issue is that Christians are concerned about the things trying to be passed that would limit their right to their beliefs in one way or another.  That some of their rights are thrown under the bus because someone else says they are invalid (like in the cases where Christian business owners have been sued for refusing service to gay couples).  Some of those ways are more subtle, and people like yourself would see it as being petty and selfish, while others are much more blatant, like punishing someone for talking to someone else about what they believe and why.  Put yourself in their shoes for a minute before you start saying whether their beliefs are any less valid than your own, maybe.

Quoting jojo_star:

You proved my point. THEY BELIEVE, and that is enough for them to try and force the world to live by their standards. They believe gay marriage will open the door to worse things. What worse things? And that is the same argument people used when interracial marriage was being fought for. They don't want a focus in school? I've yet to hear of a single school focusing on homosexuality. Covering it in history, yes, because it is a part of our history, and it is a part of society. And have you never taken a health or biology class? Those classes are all about straight marriage, the production of children, etc. There is a huge focus on straight marriage, because that is what most marriages still are. Who has ever said that straight isn't normal? I've never heard a single person, gay or straight, say that. Churches are exempt from marrying gays. But business can't deny someone service based on their religion or their skin color, so no, I don't think they should be allowed to deny someone service based on sexual orientation. And for that matter, do you know anyone who walks around saying, "I'm gay!"? Because I don't. Being gay isn't something you can see, and it doesn't change the color of their money or the fact that they are human beings. 

Again, they believe. So, since they believe, they feel like they have the right to force their views down everyone's throats. There is a huge focus on making abortion more accessible, since right wingers have managed to reduce the number of abortion providers, and add more and more ridiculous restrictions to getting an abortion every month. There is a huge push for more sexual education, and phasing out of abstinence only, which is what most Christians prefer. If anyone is pushing for a decrease of comprehensive sex ed, it's those same Christians who scream about abortion being murder. I've had an abortion. I spoke to a counselor who thoroughly discussed what would happen, side effects, possible complications, etc. I was also educated about my other choices. Planned parenthood has a website full of honest, factual information regarding abortion, adoption, and parenting. The only ones who spread lies and false information are pregnancy resource centers who will tell you that an abortion causes breast cancer and 97% of all women regret their abortions, both blatant lies. 

The world was never run on biblical principles. Some countries maybe, but never the whole world, and not even the majority. This was never a Christian country, it was founded on freedom of religion. I'm sure there are many Christians who are wonderful people and just want to live in peace. But there are a frightening amount who push and push to have their religion invade every aspect of our lives. They attack other beliefs, they put other beliefs down. I can't count how many times I've been verbally attacked, by Christians, for my beliefs. 

Quoting Anonymous:

From my observations, the biggest reasons that the non-crazy Christians oppose gay marriage is because they worry that it will open doors to things that they believe are worse or that they don't want it to be such a focus in schools (there are quite a few who have or are trying to include entire chapters on "gays in history" or that being a homosexual is a normal part of life and so on within classes like history and health, especially since it is not being balanced out by making equal statements about being straight is normal, too, or that perhaps so and so was gay but neglecting to on the same note state so and so over here was straight).  That topic is infinitely more complex than just whether homosexual marriage should be allowed, since many same sex marriage supporters are trying to use that to usher in things that would prevent Christian businesses and institutions from staying true to their beliefs in how they run their business.  As far as the abortion one goes, I have seen most "normal" Christians opposed to it because they believe that a life begins at conception and they don't want anymore of what they believe to be babies to be killed.  And with the abortions that are allowed, there seems to them to be an abundance of focus on making abortions easier to get and easier for kids to hide from their parents and less emphasis put on actually educating people on all of the after effects of abortion that as it stands are usually only lightly touched on if at all or on the options out there besides abortion.  Most Christians recognize that the world is no longer primarily run on the Bible's principles and simply want to have the freedom to live the way they want without someone constantly saying they are haters or close-minded and so on.  Unfortunately it is the people like Westbro (who don't actually have anything to do with Christianity or the Bible except in name and quote the Bible so selectively it would be like quoting the Star Spangled Banner and having it come out as Mary Had A Little Lamb.) or parents like the one you mentioned who get the attention and are really only a small fraction of the Christians in the country.

Quoting jojo_star:

The biggest two I can think of are abortion and gay marriage, both things that Christians fight hardest and loudest against, because it is against their beliefs, as written in their bible. I don't see how Christianity is being restricted in any way. We just recently had a little uproar in our school, because a parent was angry that there was no morning prayer, something they had had at their private school (this is a public school). School officials said, no morning prayer, because they are not a religious institution, but the child was free to pray all he or she wanted, provided they did not disturb others. That is what I am mainly talking about, things that Christians want, that not everyone wants, and then they turn around and scream "War on religion" as loud as they can, while at the same time lobbying for abortion to be made illegal, because it is against

THEIR religion, or for gays to not marry, again, because it is against THEIR religion. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Out of curiosity, what rules are based specifically on the Christian faith that aren't also common sense and decency?  It would seem, more than Christians callng for laws that are based on their ideals, there are Christians who are calling for laws that protect the freedom to have one's own beliefs (these same laws are being supported by non-Christians as well) and laws are being proposed and enacted that are designed to limit the freedoms of those who hold the Bible as the standard of how they live their life.

Quoting jojo_star:

It's nonsense. Just because someone doesn't want to live by their idea of right and wrong and doesn't want the laws of this country based on their idea of right and wrong does not mean they are being attacked or persecuted. If anything, Christians are attacking every and all religions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN