Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
13 moms liked this

My best friend has been whining about how broke she is - she can't afford gas, can't pay the power bill, can't buy groceries - so I asked her whether she gave up their animals - 3 big dogs, 2 cats, some ferrets, a bunch of fish in a big saltwater tank, and who knows what else - and she looked at me like I was nuts.

I love animals and my own pets are like members of the family, but I know what I spend on that and if it came down to a choice between feeding my children or feeding my pets, well, my pets are going to lose out. And if that were to happen, I'd find my pets new homes where someone else could better provide for them.

She asked why she should give them up and I said, "If you can't put food on the table for your kids, then you may need to give up some of the animals that cost so much to take care of." She told me to F off, but really, pets are a luxury. You may love 'em to pieces, but they are not a necessity.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM
4 moms liked this

nope

I love my pets, but if it comes between feeding them or my child, I would re-home them

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
6 moms liked this

She isn't doing the pets any favors by keeping them in a home where she can't afford even basic needs for the pets. It's not just food and litter, there are medical needs too. They would be better off somewhere else.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
18 moms liked this

You know as someone who is facing this dilemma myself, for my kids sake, who have already been to hell and back, there is a lot I will give up before getting rid of our pets, none of whom would have an easy time finding homes because they're getting older and one thing there isn't a shortage of in this country is dogs and cats.  That would mean the only option is shelter and eventual euthanasia.

This is one of those situations where clearly, until you are facing it yourself, you had best not judge.

jojo_star
by Jojo on May. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree with you, if it came down to feeding my kids or keeping my pets, the pets would go, as much as that would hurt. 

bahamamama61
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM
5 moms liked this
Kids before animals:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Kids must come before pets.  If they don't you suck as a parent.

Jade_Lufercus
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Well, although I'd hope I was never in that situation I would re-home my animals if I was unable to feed them, or myself for that matter. Ferrets, for one, eat A LOT, and their food can be pretty expensive. I was going through one 6lbs bag of Evo Ferret food every week with 3 ferrets. Thats's $20 a week, just on them. 

As for saltwater, if it's a reef system, that can be very expensive to keep doing. $80 bulbs that have to be bought twice a year, all sorts of stuff you have to put in the water..But a fish only set up doesn't take much to keep going.

So yeah, if I were having an extremely hard time I'd try to find my animals a home, they don't need to go hungry. And neither do my kids.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on May. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I love my cat and df loves his dog, but I would find them a good home if we couldn't feed them or my son.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
6 moms liked this

Our friendship would be over if you even suggested that I give up my pets. That, to me, would be the same as telling me to give up one of my children for adoption because I'm having financial struggles. I just feel that if you bring any living creature into your home, you care for their needs the same. That's not to say she should keep getting pets, but she made a commitment to those animals when she brought them into the home, and she needs to do whatever it takes to protect their welfare. If it's really to the point where the animals are suffering in her home, then yes she should place them where they can be cared for, but if it's just a rough patch that she can get through, it would be really sad to just turn her back on the animals.

bad_mama2011
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel the same way, if you can't make ends meet and you have a bunch of pets, it's an unnecessary expense. I know a lot of people feel very strongly about their pets, they're a part of the family, but your ACTUAL family needs food more than your pets do. the pets gots to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured