Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you heard of Oil Pulling?---UPDATE!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 53 Replies

Update: Okay, so after this post, I didn't oil pull again because there was no way I could handle the taste of the sesame seed oil. I gagged hardcore when I opened the bottle the second time.

I found Sunflower oil yesterday and I'm about to give it a shot :-). I used some of the oil for cooking yesterday because I ran out of my EVO and it smells pretty good. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm almost done. This is FAR more tolerable than the damn sesame seed oil. It's still hard in the beginning because it's like ew, oil in my mouth and the whole texture thing but I got over it pretty quickly. It's more watery now and just feels like a mouthwash consistency.  

Anyone tried or do this?

I'm doing it for the first time right now with Sesame Seed oil and OMG, I want to gag! It's not a taste I'm cool with but I'll stick it out until I find sunflower oil.

The basic idea behind it is, you swish (preferably) Sesame Seed oil (real toasted, not a blend) or Sunflower oil around in your mouth for about 20 minutes. It's supposed to help with a lot of things and heal your mouth of a lot of things, too. It's supposed to whiten teeth, too. It rids the body of toxins and bacteria, etc....

I'm trying it because I've noticed that I have some beginning stages of Periodontal disease :-(. My teeth are pretty but pregnancy KILLED my teeth and I, honestly, I didn't keep up with my oral hygeine like I should have. I didn't do very well during DS' very younger years. I'm embarrassed to say that but it is what it is.

I've done MUCH better the past few years but I hate flossing and haven't been to the dentist in over 5 years. I've never been able to afford it but I'm going to a place in July to help with all of that.

Anyway, a girl I know shared a post about Oil Pulling last night on FB and it intriged me!!

I have nothing else to lose so I figured I'd give it a try :-).

Here a list of the things it helps:

Below is a list of some of the most common conditions people have reported that respond to oil pulling:

Acne
Allergies
Arthritis
Asthma
Back and Neck Pain
Bad Breath
Bronchitis
Chronic Fatigue
Colitis
Crohn's Disease
Constipation
Dental Cavities
Dermatitis
Diabetes
Eczema
Hemorrhoids
Hypertension
Insomnia
Migraine Headaches
Mucous Congestion
Peptic Ulcers
PMS
Periodontal Disease
Bleeding Gums
Sinusitis
Tooth Abscess

The following can also be directly related to oral health and may respond to oil pulling therapy:

Acidosis
Adult Respiratory Distress
Syndrome (ARDS) Atherosclerosis Blood Disorders Brain Abscess Cancer Emphysema
Gallbladder Disease
Gout
Heart Disease
Hyperglycemia
Infertility
Kidney Disease
Liver Disease
Meningitis

Nerve Disorders                  
Osteoporosis                       
Paget's Disease                    
Pneumonia                          
Preeclampsia   
Preterm/Low Birth Weight Babies
Psychotic Episodes
Stroke
Toxic Shock Syndrome
Many types of Infectious Disease

Also here is a statistic that I found about it:

Results of Oilpulling Surveyby a news paper in India:
In 1996, after continuous publication of a regular column for three years in their Sunday edition on oil pulling, Andhra Jyoti, a Telugu daily news paper, conducted a survey to find out the types of diseases cured and the effectiveness of oil pulling. Out of a total of 1041 respondents, 927 (89%) reported cure of one or more diseases. People who did not report any cure were 114(11%).

The analysis indicated cure of the following types of chronic diseases by oil pulling:

Pains in the body and problems pertaining to neck and above 758 cases
Allergy and respiratory problems of lungs like asthma, bronchitis etc191 cases
Skin problems like pigmentation, itching, scars, black patches, and eczema etc 171 cases
Digestive system-155 cases
Constipation-110 cases
Arthritis and joint pains-91 cases
Heart disease and B.P-74 cases
Diabetes-56 cases
Piles-27 cases
Diseases pertaining to female reproductive system reported by women-21 cases
Diseases like Polio, Cancer, Leprosy, polycystic kidney, neural fibroma, paralysis etc 72

We'll see how it works. I'll do it for 30 days and if nothing happens, oh well.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BeAmour
by Tonya on May. 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

BUMP!

RachelsMercy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Something that tastes a lot better and can help with all of that is natural aloe vera mouthwash. I started using that (like you I kinda neglected my teeth when I was younger) and within a week of using it once a day my gums stopped bleeding and my teeth were way less sensitive. And I feel better all over and my blood pressure is down.

BeAmour
by Tonya on May. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

After about 5 minutes, the taste wasn't as strong. I'm going to find some Sunflower oil and try that. I hate that yucky toasted flavor.

Quoting RachelsMercy:

Something that tastes a lot better and can help with all of that is natural aloe vera mouthwash. I started using that (like you I kinda neglected my teeth when I was younger) and within a week of using it once a day my gums stopped bleeding and my teeth were way less sensitive. And I feel better all over and my blood pressure is down.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

My chiropractor talked to me about this for my migraines. I just can't do it though. The texture of the oil makes me gag.

BeAmour
by Tonya on May. 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM

It was interesting, that's for sure. They say it's supposed to turn more watery in your mouth....maybe I don't need a full tablespoon because it was still thick for me. I had a hard time at first, too.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

My chiropractor talked to me about this for my migraines. I just can't do it though. The texture of the oil makes me gag.

Bethsunshine
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting BeAmour:

It was interesting, that's for sure. They say it's supposed to turn more watery in your mouth....maybe I don't need a full tablespoon because it was still thick for me. I had a hard time at first, too.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I tried it with coconut oil because I like the taste of that, but the texture is nauseating to just swish it around in my mouth.

I have problems with bleeding gums too, and I use a waterpik. It helps!

RachelsMercy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The aloe mouthwash is very tasty, maybe swish the oil for half the time then follow up with the aloe mouthwash to take the taste away?

Quoting BeAmour:

After about 5 minutes, the taste wasn't as strong. I'm going to find some Sunflower oil and try that. I hate that yucky toasted flavor.

Quoting RachelsMercy:

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

for 20 MINUTES?  doesn't your mouth & jaws get so tired?  i've never tried...never even heard of it, honestly, but i don't think i could do it.  i'm gagging just thinking about it.

BeAmour
by Tonya on May. 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I think any other oil other than Sesame Seed oil is going to be better!

They say Coconut oil doesn't work like Seasme Seed and Sunflower but if I can't handle those two, I may have to just deal with Coconut oil. I don't like coconut, though but it has to taste better than that!

I actually don't have issues with sensitivity or bleeding gums. I just have a white line at the gum line of some of my teeth and I'm not down with that! lol

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting BeAmour:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I tried it with coconut oil because I like the taste of that, but the texture is nauseating to just swish it around in my mouth.

I have problems with bleeding gums too, and I use a waterpik. It helps!

BeAmour
by Tonya on May. 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Nah, it shouldn't get sore, "so they say". lol. I either have a strong jaw or something.

It's not too bad. I just sat on here and tried not to think about it.

Quoting almondpigeon:

for 20 MINUTES?  doesn't your mouth & jaws get so tired?  i've never tried...never even heard of it, honestly, but i don't think i could do it.  i'm gagging just thinking about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)