Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mother in law just ruined mother's day for me.

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 174 Replies
1 mom liked this

And it is my fault truly. I should have ignored her. I am sort of one of these people who have what they call a "bleeding heart". Anyway, she called me last night and we were talking. And she was all upset and huffy because none of her children, (and she has five children), have made any plans with her for the weekend. I know why they did not make plans, it is sort of a game they do with her every year. They wait until the last possible moment in time that they can, then call her hoping someone else called first, and she already has plans. Because, well my mil is a pain in the ass, and complains about everything, and no one wants to take her out. She will bitch about the food if you take her to eat, she will bitch about the prices too, she will bitch AT the waiter or waitress, she will whine because you didn't buy her a big enough bouquet, etc. Of course I won't tell her that. That would just be mean. So there she is bitching no one is taking her out this year, no one loves her, no one cares, and here I am telling her that her children are very busy, one lives in Germany so that one cannot make plans, blah blah blah. And she breaks into tears, I can hear it. And before I know exactly what I am doing, I am offering for her to go with us to the local theme park, which were our plans for the day. She starts in does she have to pay for herself? Can my fil go? Do they have to pay for him? Well, we have two free passes for the month of May and I told her we will use those for her and my fil. The kids and my dh and I have season passes, so we won't be using the two free May passes we recieved. She meekly says okay. I tell her for dinner we are going to a steak house and she demands to know who will pay for her meal and my fil's meal so I told her we would.She stopped crying and sounded happier. I told her we were planning on taking her anyway and wanted to make it a surprise but since she was so upset I would tell her the plans now. She seemed a lot better.

But damn definitly this was not planned and not what I wanted to do. She will complain about everything I can promise you that. She already complained that the water park will be closed right now, and complained that she wants to take one car so she doesn't have to pay gas, and told me she is too tired to stay late at the park and we would have to leave early to suit her needs, and we don't sit through the magic show which she loves, (because we have an autistic son who cannot handle sitting there for a long time), etc. I know my day is going to suck. Oh, and she ALWAYS complains about our car and our seats.

But I felt bad so I tried to do the right thing. I guess I am a glutten for punishment, kwim? Thanks for listening just needed to vent.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RainbowBrite111
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I know this is my own damned fault for the most part.

RainbowBrite111
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:03 PM

:(

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Sounds like SOs mom. My mom died 6 years ago so I don't even think about doing anything for his mom. I actually stopped buying her stuff for holidays or having the kids make her something because she doesn't seem to care. It's his mom and I don't even like to spend holidays with her.
mommy2zbg
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM

well maybe things won't be as bad as you think they will be...

ambermarie2006
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
It will be fine, it's just 1 day. I am taking my mom to a local theme park that day too for a concert series.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this
You already invited her, so the least she can do is accept your terms
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
8 moms liked this
Ha! You got played.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol. Have fun!

Best I got.
cLanief
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it might be one day to tell her to shut up or she can sit at home. Lol sorry but omg! And if she doesn't want to join you at a thing at the park... part ways and meet back up later... and if she gets tired and yall aren't ready she can drive her own ass or sit and relax somewhere while you guys do your thing. Ffs. Yes its mothers day but shes not the only mother in the situation.
RainbowBrite111
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I can hope. But everytime I go anywhere with her it is a disaster. One time for her birthday and my birthday, because they are so close together, we went out just us 2. In the middle of a crowded store, (I had just had a perm and my hair was curly), she practically screamed out, "You look horrid with that nappy negro hair!" Everyone STARED. I wanted to curl up and die. She will harrass the waitress or waitor no matter where we go until the point I am worried they may have pissed in our food, and I wouldn't be surprised.

Quoting mommy2zbg:

well maybe things won't be as bad as you think they will be...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured