Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What are his chances? (Child support)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
Exdh hasn't seen dd or paid child support in a year. Child support enforcement has finally caught up with him, and he is bitching about having to pay the measly 300 a month that he agreed to in the divorce ! Because he pays 400 for his other three kids. He's threatening to go back to court and either have the amount lowered or try to get custody. I cannot afford a lawyer at all. I have no income at the moment .
Now he's texting me wanting to sign over his rights. That would be awesome, can we do that without lawyers?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM

in many states signing over rights will not wipe away his owed debt

have you used PA at all?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Yeah but if he thinks it will, all the better.
And no I haven't gotten any cash assistance. Just Medical and food stamps

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

have you used PA at all?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM

That counts as PA

in Michigan the state will continue to go after back child support if the child has recieved PA of any sort because lack of child support payment is part of why that child was elegible.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

have you used PA at all?

tarakay0417
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I am going through a rights termination and adoption with my oldest. Its better to get a lawyer for this. It is pricey, but if the paperwork isn't done correctly it will be thrown out. You needed to be married so there is someone to give your ex's parental rights to. Any child support that is in arrears he will still have to pay. Very doubtful that the state will just forgive it. If you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer them.
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM
in my opinion you would be failing your child to allow him to take the coward's way out and sign over his rights.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I don't really care whether he pays or not. But if hell sign over his rights then that would be a dream come true. I'm in Illinois and can't seem to find anything saying what steps you need to take for signing over your rights

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

That counts as PA

in Michigan the state will continue to go after back child support if the child has recieved PA of any sort because lack of child support payment is part of why that child was elegible.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

have you used PA at all?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

even if you don't care if he pays, the state still may

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't really care whether he pays or not. But if hell sign over his rights then that would be a dream come true. I'm in Illinois and can't seem to find anything saying what steps you need to take for signing over your rights

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

That counts as PA

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

have you used PA at all?

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

He can threaten all he wants to.  Unless you are unfit he will not be able to take custody.  He hasn't even seen his child!

If he can't afford to pay CS how is he going to afford a lawyer to take you to court?  He's just pissed that he sucks at life and it's finally catching up to him.

elijahXmom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM
You just stated child support enforcement, call them they can often help with lawyers and stuff. Have been on public aid in past year?

Quoting Anonymous:

Exdh hasn't seen dd or paid child support in a year. Child support enforcement has finally caught up with him, and he is bitching about having to pay the measly 300 a month that he agreed to in the divorce ! Because he pays 400 for his other three kids. He's threatening to go back to court and either have the amount lowered or try to get custody. I cannot afford a lawyer at all. I have no income at the moment .

Now he's texting me wanting to sign over his rights. That would be awesome, can we do that without lawyers?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

He's gotta pay regardless of terminating his rights because of the PA you were on.

Also, in most states, a parent can't end the chid support relationship unless someone else is there to pick up the tab so to speak.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)