Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What the hell is, "business casual"? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband has a work party in a couple weeks. The invite says business casual. Im a jeans and t shirt kind of girl. I dont own a dress. I have one nice dressy kind of shirt, its a bit small, and a pair of dark wash jeans. Thats really it. Will that fly? Am i resigned to slacks or a dress? Neither of which i have, or am willing to buy.

Thank you ladies. I am not going to go out and buy anything for this party. Well, not anything ill wear once. I guess im rocking jeans and embarrassing my husband or not going.

That last line of my immature edit was a smart ass statement. I will be going, and i will be wearing my dark jeans with a dressy top and jewelry and heels. Of course ill do my hair and make up. That will be my effort. Im sorry i just dont want to go out and buy something i dont feel i will wear enough to warrent buying it.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (101-108):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM
3 moms liked this

My husband married me knowing I'm extremely casual (I'm currently in yoga pants and tank top, as usual), but then his best friend fell in love with and got married to an amazing woman from a fairly wealthy family. I had no problem buying a fancy dress (that I haven't worn since and can't think of when I might wear again) to their black tie wedding. They're our friends and I wanted to support them. Why can't you do the same for your husband? 

Quoting olliesmommy2:

Shit honey, he must be. He married me after knowing just who i am for over a decade. I wore a dress at our wedding, and i think once since. Just not my thing. It has nothing to do with class. Im not trash, im just not into dressing up. Shoot.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your husband must be so proud of his classy woman. 

nurbabe82
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I can't stand dressing up either. I am definitely a jeans person and love it when I can make a cute outfit from a pair of jeans. But I have always kept that one semi-dressy outfit on hand for events like the one you are about to attend. Its never anything special either, just a classic pair of slacks, nice shirt and some shoes to go with it.

Vamp
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I got an emergency very cheap kinda dress pants for 14 dollars at DG...look decent enough for office and still wear them sometimes

spunky946
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't get over that you have nothing but jeans in your closet. Flabbergasted
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
You would probably have a heart attack if you saw all my clothes. I have very few. I've never worn slacks, sweats, khakis. I wear jeans. I'll roll them up in summer or wear one of two pair of board shorts I have.

Quoting spunky946:

I can't get over that you have nothing but jeans in your closet. Flabbergasted
IamDB
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I guess as long as you're wearing a blouse and heels with your jeans, it's not that big a deal...especially since it's at a chain restaurant. Just do me a favor and PLEASE NO MOM JEANS! Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

To be honest with you, I find it a little embarrassing that you aren't even willing to spend a small amount of money to buy a nice pair of pants.  I feel that you are representing your husband at a business function and you should at least make that effort to dress according to the dress code. 

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I will make an effort. I'm taking jeans I already own, with a dressy blouse type shirt, heels and jewelry make up and all that crap. But I am not going to buy slacks or a dress. It's funny so many of you seem offended by the fact I don't want slacks in my wardrobe.

Quoting Anonymous:

To be honest with you, I find it a little embarrassing that you aren't even willing to spend a small amount of money to buy a nice pair of pants.  I feel that you are representing your husband at a business function and you should at least make that effort to dress according to the dress code. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)