Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What the hell is, "business casual"? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband has a work party in a couple weeks. The invite says business casual. Im a jeans and t shirt kind of girl. I dont own a dress. I have one nice dressy kind of shirt, its a bit small, and a pair of dark wash jeans. Thats really it. Will that fly? Am i resigned to slacks or a dress? Neither of which i have, or am willing to buy.

Thank you ladies. I am not going to go out and buy anything for this party. Well, not anything ill wear once. I guess im rocking jeans and embarrassing my husband or not going.

That last line of my immature edit was a smart ass statement. I will be going, and i will be wearing my dark jeans with a dressy top and jewelry and heels. Of course ill do my hair and make up. That will be my effort. Im sorry i just dont want to go out and buy something i dont feel i will wear enough to warrent buying it.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

That other lady has a point -- you don't ever go to showers, funerals, weddings, etc?  You can't go buy a nice pair of cheap khaki's from the freaking Gap or something?

Damn.....

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It is a huge global corporation. Everyone is super fancy. But im not trying to be like that. I feel like light jeans would be terribly inappropriate, but i have very dark wash and always thought those could pass as a bit nicer? Thanks.

Quoting lnrmom:

It really kind of depends on the company. Typically dark washed jeans and a nice top will work.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Just wear a dress
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM
There are plenty of affordable options, and you can sell or donate them afterwards...you don't have to keep them. Just do it once, for your husband.
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM
I don't see why buying and wearing a pair of pants that are not jeans is such a damned ordeal for you.

What the hell do you wear to a job interview?
olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I never said i dont attend those functions. I just am apparently the sloppy mess that shows up in jeans!

Quoting Anonymous:

That other lady has a point -- you don't ever go to showers, funerals, weddings, etc?  You can't go buy a nice pair of cheap khaki's from the freaking Gap or something?

Damn.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Your husband won't have any more work parties? 
Your friends won't have any bridal/baby showers?
Your children won't have any award ceremonies?  
Also I don't find dress pants to be any less comfortable than jeans. And some of them are more comfortable because the fabric is softer. 

Quoting olliesmommy2:

Interesting you've derived all this information about me. Anyway, i am not going out and buying a pair of pants that i will hate wearing and never wear again. It doesnt make sense. I am perfectly fine with my non-fancy clothes wearing life experiences, thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should really consider expanding your wardrobe. Being unwilling to change clothes seems like you're really mentally blocked-off from different experiences, in the bigger picture. In some ways, thumbing your nose at experiences where it's appropriate to wear nice clothing is, dare I say it, a little self-centered. Like you expect the world to cater only to your tastes instead of being flexible enough to take things as they come.

It's a pair of slacks and a nice blouse. It's not like they're asking you to change your religion.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I'm usually a jeans and tshirt kind of girl too mostly but I can't imagine not having at least one nicer outfit to wear if needed (for a wedding, funeral, party etc...). If you aren't willing to wear something decent I'd just stay at home.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

business casual is typically like dress pants and a blouse or a blouse and skirt.. or a more casual style dress. 

Not black tie/red carpet/ formal attire, but something you'd perhaps wear to a wedding or a luncheon at a nice club.. 

No jeans!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

At a work event, if you go and embarrass your husband, it will reflect poorly on him in the work place. Don't plan on any future invites. It will also be taken into consideration during future promotions and pay raises. Maybe unfairly, but seriously, how hard is it to go to Goodwill to grab a pair of slacks and a shirt that fits? 

The office have a dress code for a reason. If they didn't expect one, they wouldn't have posted it. It's trashy not to follow it. He'll, borrow something if you have to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)