Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What the hell is, "business casual"? *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband has a work party in a couple weeks. The invite says business casual. Im a jeans and t shirt kind of girl. I dont own a dress. I have one nice dressy kind of shirt, its a bit small, and a pair of dark wash jeans. Thats really it. Will that fly? Am i resigned to slacks or a dress? Neither of which i have, or am willing to buy.

Thank you ladies. I am not going to go out and buy anything for this party. Well, not anything ill wear once. I guess im rocking jeans and embarrassing my husband or not going.

That last line of my immature edit was a smart ass statement. I will be going, and i will be wearing my dark jeans with a dressy top and jewelry and heels. Of course ill do my hair and make up. That will be my effort. Im sorry i just dont want to go out and buy something i dont feel i will wear enough to warrent buying it.

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
supercarp
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

No jeans. Go to Goodwill and get a pair of dress pants. You will use them again, especially if your husband continues to work for this company. When you mature a little more you won't consider jeans as your only style of pants.

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Because i dont budget for stupid things ill wear once in my life. I have a background in maintenance work, i sah now, but when i worked, and if i choose to again, i will be wearing jeans and steel toe boots to work. So interviewing in a suit would be ridiculous.

Quoting wickedfiress:

I don't see why buying and wearing a pair of pants that are not jeans is such a damned ordeal for you.

What the hell do you wear to a job interview?

supercarp
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Not going is not an option. Believe it or not, your behavior refects on him and can affect how they see him at work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

blank stare

Quoting olliesmommy2:

It is a huge global corporation. Everyone is super fancy. But im not trying to be like that. I feel like light jeans would be terribly inappropriate, but i have very dark wash and always thought those could pass as a bit nicer? Thanks.

Quoting lnrmom:

It really kind of depends on the company. Typically dark washed jeans and a nice top will work.

just_hc
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Why not just go to a thrift shop and buy a pair of pants for $5.

rgba
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM
If you don't have dress pants, do you at least have a pair of summer capris, or a skirt or sundress that you can pair with a sweater? I have a hard time believing someone ONLY has jeans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I really don't understand why you are fighting having to buy a pair of nicer pants.. they are actually far more comfortable (material wise) than jeans.. the only real issue here is your mental comfort.. 

Perhaps someone from your family needs to volunteer you for "what not to wear" lol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Only trash shows up to a work event witha posted dress code wearing something far more casual than what is expected. Your husband would be better off leaving you home. 

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Somehow i will manage. Its not that i wouldnt have more oportunities to wear them, i just wouldnt. I dont see why you are so defensive about my objection to slacks. They suck, I dont want to wear them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your husband won't have any more work parties? 
Your friends won't have any bridal/baby showers?
Your children won't have any award ceremonies?  
Also I don't find dress pants to be any less comfortable than jeans. And some of them are more comfortable because the fabric is softer. 

Quoting olliesmommy2:

Interesting you've derived all this information about me. Anyway, i am not going out and buying a pair of pants that i will hate wearing and never wear again. It doesnt make sense. I am perfectly fine with my non-fancy clothes wearing life experiences, thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should really consider expanding your wardrobe. Being unwilling to change clothes seems like you're really mentally blocked-off from different experiences, in the bigger picture. In some ways, thumbing your nose at experiences where it's appropriate to wear nice clothing is, dare I say it, a little self-centered. Like you expect the world to cater only to your tastes instead of being flexible enough to take things as they come.

It's a pair of slacks and a nice blouse. It's not like they're asking you to change your religion.

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on May. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I would wear nice jeans, I don't do dress pants, maybe a skirt or a dress but I wear what I am comfortable in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN