Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is a cheap, good data plan? Go!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

We have been trying desperately to get our budget balanced, but can't seem to do it so we won't be borrowing money down the road.  We've tightened belts and shaved off extras, but are still struggling.  The biggest thing we can cut right now is our phones.  We don't have a land line and need cell phones, but our bill is nearly $150/month.  If it weren't for the fact that my hubby needs a smart phone for work (which is not provided through his contract) then we could easily remedy the problem.  So, those of you who have a good, cheap data plan and phone, what is the phone and carrier and how much do you pay?  And if you are in the Northwest, how is the coverage?  Thanks!

(And before any of you start going on and on about how we need to be looking for better jobs, we are.  Hubby has 2 jobs right now, even.  We don't have credit cards, except one that is for emergencies like a big car repair.  We are living very frugally, but sometimes that just isn't enough.)

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight91
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Virgin Mobile, unlimited data plan and 300 minutes starting at $35, plans go up to $55.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I heard t mobile has a plan for 50.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Metropcs 125 a month 2 smart phones & 1 regular all unlimited talk text & web my tmobile is 80 & has the same but my web sucks
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Can you keep the phone and number you have?  Or do you have to buy one of theirs, like with some of the other low cost options out there?

Quoting starlight91:

Virgin Mobile, unlimited data plan and 300 minutes starting at $35, plans go up to $55.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Straight talk. 45 a month for unlimited everything for my iPhone
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on May. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I pay 60 $ a month tax included for a galaxy S3 on Verizon with 5gb of 4g data unlimited calling and text.

Works for me
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Boost Mobile- unlimited everything. Love the shrinkage plan. I started at $55 a month and I'm down to $35. So is dh. Eff paying all that money to those big name companies.

hazel1922
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Exactly what I was gonna say.

Quoting starlight91:

heavenlybliss19
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I wouldn't go with Straight Talk.  "unlimited" really means 2 gigs of data before they slow you down to dial-up style speeds and take away your 3G network.  Just found that out the other day, talked to a rep about why my husband's phone was going slow, she explained the truth on "unlimited".

heavenlybliss19
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Sorry, correction. DH says they totally cut off his net.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured