Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you dress?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 80 Replies

How do you dress for events at your kids school?

I've noticed that a lot of the parents at my kids schools don't dress very nice for school functions. I am talking torn jeans, men with the sleeveless shirts, a lot of them just look and smell dirty.

Do you make an effort to look nice?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

BUMP!

SusieQue717
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Yes, I make an effort. But when I drop her off, I always look nice, I'm usually on my way to work.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:53 PM

It depends. If I'm coming straight from work, usually business casual. If I'm coming from home, then usually jeans (no holes) and a t-shirt.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

It depends. If I'm coming straight from work, usually business casual. If I'm coming from home, then usually jeans (no holes) and a t-shirt.

I'll wear jeans to normal assemblies and volunteering but my clothes are clean and I've showered.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure.  When I get dressed up it's Hippy Chic!

marihla
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I care what I look like every day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Maybe it was from having band from 6th grade through 12th, but I was always told that if you are going to a performance or function, honor/respect the performers/hosts by dressing nicely.  I try to dress appropriately for the occasion.  So, for my kid's preschool Christmas program, it was a nice skirt or dress pants.  Same or their mother's day tea.  For the parent's night they have at the beginning of the school year, I usually do nice jeans and a dressy top with heals, since it is a little more laid back.  It always bothers me to see how dressed down everyone is nowadays.  I went to the symphony with my mom and sisters a couple years back.  We were in nice evening dresses, but half the people there couldn't even bother to change out of jeans into slacks or leave sweatshirts behind in exchange for a nice cardigan.  It's a shame we have lost the idea that going out to things is a time to dress nicely.  Not saying going to a restaurant always has to be the glamorous affair it was in the 30's or 40's, but people should take a little more pride in their appearance, I think.  It has gotten now so wearing a nice dress on a date with my hubby leaves me feeling over dressed, even at "nicer" restaurants.

(Also, it is weird that the spell check just told me "jeans" is not a word, haha!)

lizard3731
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't dress up, but my clothes don't have holes and they're clean.  I take a shower, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I dont! they are homeschooled. Mon-fri and weekends. i dont need to go to the school until fridays to drop HW and pick up new ones. When i go, i wear yoga pants, skinny jeans, my big handbag. everything is name brand but i dont dress up in high heels and pencil skirts. Im 5'0 and when not pregnant ( am now) im 115-120lbs.. i dont do dresses. I have huge natural saggy boobs from weight gain from my first DD 8 1/2 years ago. Most dresses do not fit because i have big breasts that need thick bra straps and ever since i had my first c-section with my first DD and then my second, the c-section scar is crooked which made my love handles and stomach CROOKED. no matter how much i loose weight, the stomach is there. So dresses make me look 6 months pregnant when im not pregnant.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe it was from having band from 6th grade through 12th, but I was always told that if you are going to a performance or function, honor/respect the performers/hosts by dressing nicely.  I try to dress appropriately for the occasion.  So, for my kid's preschool Christmas program, it was a nice skirt or dress pants.  Same or their mother's day tea.  For the parent's night they have at the beginning of the school year, I usually do nice jeans and a dressy top with heals, since it is a little more laid back.  It always bothers me to see how dressed down everyone is nowadays.  I went to the symphony with my mom and sisters a couple years back.  We were in nice evening dresses, but half the people there couldn't even bother to change out of jeans into slacks or leave sweatshirts behind in exchange for a nice cardigan.  It's a shame we have lost the idea that going out to things is a time to dress nicely.  Not saying going to a restaurant always has to be the glamorous affair it was in the 30's or 40's, but people should take a little more pride in their appearance, I think.  It has gotten now so wearing a nice dress on a date with my hubby leaves me feeling over dressed, even at "nicer" restaurants.

(Also, it is weird that the spell check just told me "jeans" is not a word, haha!)

Exactly!! I feel the same way too. I was raised that there is a certain way you dress for certain occasions. I always feel over dressed at most functions too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)