Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT*****So I'm supposed to just pick up my life and move?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 95 Replies
My SO called me and said someone called him about a job in another state making about double what he makes now, which is excellent but if he gets the job he will be starting it in about a month and he wants me to come with him of course.

I've told him ill follow him wherever he goes but only a month notice? I'd have to quit my job and move I think 6 hours away.

I like to be able to plan, and a month to find a place. Move with a kid and 3 cats. And quit my job isn't a lot of time :(

---------
This was written the moment I got off the phone with him before everything sank in. I'm ok and actually happy about it now.

I know some of y'all saw how much he will be making and saw dollar signs but you have to take into consideration that he will then have to pay more in child support. He thinks about 80,000 a year plus we will be moving from Texas which has no state income tax to Louisiana which does have a state income tax. There also will be a cost of living increase there, homes cost more than they do here. Plus ill have to quit my job which brings in 52,000 a year.

So on paper it may seem like he would be making a lot in the end the raise isn't going to be as much as everyone thinks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hanab818
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM
So stay back for a month or so get everything together. But I could do it in a month if I had dhs help. It might be crazy for a while but it could get done.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I might have to stay back a month to get everything packed. The deal is we have a lease till next march so I don't even know what we will do about that, I guess we could leave it and use the apartment when we come visit family.

Quoting Hanab818:

So stay back for a month or so get everything together. But I could do it in a month if I had dhs help. It might be crazy for a while but it could get done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Doesn't he already make $200,000 a year? So now he will be making $400,000 a year? Is that you?

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Yes that's me

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Doesn't he already make $200,000 a year? So now he will be making $400,000 a year? Is that you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  Let him interview, and if he gets the job, then let him move and find an inexpesive place to stay for a while, while he looks for a better place for your whole family.  That buys you a little time to prepare, to look for a new job yourself, and give notice at your current work.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Didn't you just make a post about you getting a new3 bed apartment? What are you going to do about that?

Quoting Roxygurl:

Yes that's me

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Why do you have to be there in the same timeframe?

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Can you rent out to someone else or find some one to take over your lease? But if paying two rents is not an issue then go for it.

Quoting Roxygurl:

I might have to stay back a month to get everything packed. The deal is we have a lease till next march so I don't even know what we will do about that, I guess we could leave it and use the apartment when we come visit family.

Quoting Hanab818:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM

an apartment will let you out of a lease if you show them that it is because of a job move.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Thanks. He just threw me for a loop but what you said will probably be what we do. He's basically got the job if he wants it he just needs to find out what all it entails and decide if he wants it and for that money he will most likely take it.

Quoting Diamepphyre:

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.  Let him interview, and if he gets the job, then let him move and find an inexpesive place to stay for a while, while he looks for a better place for your whole family.  That buys you a little time to prepare, to look for a new job yourself, and give notice at your current work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN