Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weird?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 59 Replies
I just started therapy for PTSD and trauma from events that occurred on my childhood. When searching for a therapist I had a lot of requirements; that they have experience with trauma, that they are in close proximity to DD's school, that they take my insurance, that theyhave experience with EMDR therapy, and were available to see me within the hours of 12:30-2:30 because that's the only time I have when my DD isn't with me. I was also looking specifically for a woman.

The first therapist I found who was able to meet the majority of my needs is male. Because I wanted to start immediately,I thought I'd give it a try and see if I could be comfortable talking about my sexual assault issues with a man.

I've actually done very well on therapy and actually had a pretty big breakthrough yesterday after only 3 visits. My issue is, my husband thinksit's weird that I would talk about these things with a man. He also says that it makes him uncomfortable. If I mention therapy or my therapist at all, we end up in a huge fight, like last night.

I feel torn; do I start divulging all this stuff and try to get comfortable with a new,female therapist to appease my DH, or do I continue to see my therapist and just not talk,about it with DH so as not to aggravate his insecurities? :(
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PitbullPrincess
by Woof on May. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

He should be happy you are getting help you need by someone you are comfortable with.  Male or Female, he's a professional like any other.

I think he's being wierd.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Me,too. But I feel like he's making me choose. Also, the idea of having to go through this with,a new therapist is giving me anxiety. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm betraying/disrespecting my husband if I keep going.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Stick with your current therapist. They have ethical guidelines they have to follow, explain that to your husband.

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

DH needs to get over it. This isn't about him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM
He knows all that.,one of the major problems is that he had a bad experience himself with therapy and it's tainted his view of or altogether. It's just made worse by the fact that my therapist is a man.

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Stick with your current therapist. They have ethical guidelines they have to follow, explain that to your husband.

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Talk to your therapist about it. Have him come to a few sessions with you.
I think it is so wrong of him to be giving you crap about this. What an ass. He should be nothing but supportive through things like this.
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
It's so hard to find someone who you can open up to. Please don't let this hold you back.(by changing therapists) I really hope he can realize how important this is. I'm sorry.
tnt-manda
by Mandy Dandy on May. 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Keep going and as you get comfortable invite dh along for a session every once in awhile. That would help ease his mind and he probably could better understand how therapy is really helping you. It's hard to be understanding when you have never really been through those same things his complaints are probably somewhat out of ignorance.
Mommyof5247
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Try not to bring it up to your DH, when he asks why & gets suspicious tell him why you stopped talking to him about it & that you don't want his sensitivity & insecurity hurting your progress.

If you are comfortable with your therapist, keep going, don't change them. It's hard to get comfortable with a stranger when sharing issues & working through assault issues may be empowering for you (if you were assaulted by a male).
Maybe you can offer for your husband to meet your therapist or even attend a session with you to help make him comfortable & help keep communication open with your husband.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Your dh is so far wrong here its unbelievable
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)