Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeling a little lost

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
  • 14 Replies
Dh wants me to be looking for a job. I'm currently a sahm, have been for a few years. I don't mind going back to work, and I understand the need for the cushion of extra money that my check would bring. But here's my problem. I'm not sure how to make it work. There are two child care centers in my immediate area, both of which would cost more than I could hope to bring on per month for both kids. I've briefly looked into a baby sitter /nanny type thing, but again, they want per hour what I'm probably going to be making per hour. I'm still looking into baby sitters, maybe someone I know could point me in the right direction....I'll see. Its really my only option. I can't work opposite Dh and I can't rely on family for child care.
how do you ladies that work make it work and actually bring home a check?

I feel like I need to get this squared away before I start applying to places. It would look bad to walk into an interview with no clue about what my situation is going to be, right?

Ds will be starting kinder in the fall, hopefully full day. So then Im hoping maybe I can find something during schools hours, but is that even realistic? This is really stressing me out! I need advice if you have any, please.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

What about doing daycare out of your own home?

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM
I'm not licensed... I've thought about taking on another child or two. But I'm not sure if I've got the temperament for it. I sit twice a week already, which would leave me three open days and some weekend days but I just don't know. Dh doesn't want extra kids in the house when he's home and I would feel bad crapping out on clients on those days, as few as they are.

Might be worth a try though.

Quoting Anonymous:

What about doing daycare out of your own home?

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I would wait until your ds is in K, that will free up some $ for childcare. Then just put the one kid in daycare and hopefully you can find something with school hours.

MayBeeIAm
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Why can't you work opposite
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
I'm thinking that may be the way to go. Dh said he doesn't mind if it takes a few months to find something. I just feel like it needs to be done right now lol

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

I would wait until your ds is in K, that will free up some $ for childcare. Then just put the one kid in daycare and hopefully you can find something with school hours.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM
He's an otr truck driver and gone a month at a time

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Oh wow. No you can't then. Good luck though.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh wow. No you can't then. Good luck though.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Yeah no, opposite won't work. Have you looked into susbtitute teaching? It is a 2 week class and here they make about $75 a day. So it is pretty flexible with the kids because if you can't work one dsy you just say you are not available. Also bus driver is good too. It is another 2 week class, pays pretty good. And of course you woul dhave summers off so no childcare during that time.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM
It runs about 5 grand to get your class a, plus the extra for a passenger endorsement.

I might look into the subbing though. That actually sounds enjoyable.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Yeah no, opposite won't work. Have you looked into susbtitute teaching? It is a 2 week class and here they make about $75 a day. So it is pretty flexible with the kids because if you can't work one dsy you just say you are not available. Also bus driver is good too. It is another 2 week class, pays pretty good. And of course you woul dhave summers off so no childcare during that time.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Quoting MayBeeIAm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured