Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

FOOD STAMPS AND BUDGETING!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

hi ladies :)

i get food stamps and I am trying something new out. I want to start planning meals. There is five of us. Yes my dh works fulltime and i babysit to help out a little. but with that, i want to start writing a menu out for the month. does it actually save you money? and any tips would be great! and is there any crock pot sites?  with summer coming i dont want to use my oven alot since it can get 113 without the heat index

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I dont but it seems I make the same things over and over.I buy meat and stuff we use a lot when its on sale and make dinners around that.

Decemberlov
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I usually have a meal plan for the week and yes, it saves me money and lots of frustration - I hate running to the store after work to grab dinner because I didn't plan anything....and at this point I'm too tired to even look at prices and end up spending close to $20 some dollars on one meal.

I usually go through my fridge before I put a list together and see what I have. I try and make a meal list from things I already have. Last week I did tacos because I had everything I needed besides the meat so that turned out to be only a $5 meal instead of having to buy everything. I also went without taco shells because I had a bag of tortilla chips we used instead.

You can also plan a night for leftovers on you meal list so that you can make sure nothing goes to waste.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

i do weekly meal plans and I get the store sales and plan off of what is on sale to save money

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

What helps to save us money isplanning some meals, using coupons, price matching, having a garden, buying meat that is reduced for quick sale, clearance stuff, ect

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Mobile Photo

Obligatory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

we dont usually have leftovers but we always buy the same stuff over and over. every month i do a big shopping trip and just get the same stuff over and over. we usually run to store for sour cream *sometimes if i put it on the top shelf it will freeze everything* and for bread and fruit

Quoting Decemberlov:

I usually have a meal plan for the week and yes, it saves me money and lots of frustration - I hate running to the store after work to grab dinner because I didn't plan anything....and at this point I'm too tired to even look at prices and end up spending close to $20 some dollars on one meal.

I usually go through my fridge before I put a list together and see what I have. I try and make a meal list from things I already have. Last week I did tacos because I had everything I needed besides the meat so that turned out to be only a $5 meal instead of having to buy everything. I also went without taco shells because I had a bag of tortilla chips we used instead.

You can also plan a night for leftovers on you meal list so that you can make sure nothing goes to waste.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Nope. I dont meal plan or get stamps.

But i do coupon like hell.

Bumpity for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

i have started a garden but its not huge *we live in town and the plot is not big* i would do coupons but you have to pay sales tax on the coupons. you might get a coupon saying save 0.50 on two boxes of cereal you will still end up paying at least 0.30 on the coupon

Quoting othermom:

What helps to save us money isplanning some meals, using coupons, price matching, having a garden, buying meat that is reduced for quick sale, clearance stuff, ect

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

how much do you save?

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Nope. I dont meal plan or get stamps.

But i do coupon like hell.

Bumpity for you!

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Have you tried the freezer meal planning sites?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)