Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

advice on not smelling like fish?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 31 Replies
Okay..so this is not how some will take it from the title lol.

Finally got a summer job, but its in a fish plant. I remember when I would stay with my uncle you could always tell when he was fishing (fisherman fulltime obviously haha). Now Im nervous that Im going to smell like the plant after work. When i walked in the plant for my interview the smell was overwhelming at first but by the time the job offer was given to me it didnt bother me, so i know i can deal with thrn smell while there. However Im nervous that i will smell like the plant all the time...and for once Google had no help here lol.

So does anyone know someone or has themselves worked in a fish plant and know if the smell 'sticks to you' and if it does will just regular showers help get rid of it?

I know I probably sound like an idiot lol, but this is a legitimate question & worry of mine.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NoahandEliza
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM
No fish plant, but my sister worked at Captain D's in high school. She always ssmelled like fish when she got home, but immediately showered and smelled fine. I know it's not the same, but it's as close as I can get.

Oh, and my bil works at a chicken plant and he doesn't stink.
TakeTwo
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Make a scrub out of lemon, honey, and blended oatmeal. Use it in the shower as soon as you get home from work :) 

TakeTwo
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

By 'blended' I mean get a coffee grinder and pulverize real whole oats to a powder.

ninjakids
by Christina on May. 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Thats a relief then to know a regular shower should suffice haha

Quoting NoahandEliza:

No fish plant, but my sister worked at Captain D's in high school. She always ssmelled like fish when she got home, but immediately showered and smelled fine. I know it's not the same, but it's as close as I can get.

Oh, and my bil works at a chicken plant and he doesn't stink.
ninjakids
by Christina on May. 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM
That sounds like it would smell really nice thanks! :)

Quoting TakeTwo:

Make a scrub out of lemon, honey, and blended oatmeal. Use it in the shower as soon as you get home from work :) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM

ewwww god lol good luck

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:46 PM
This. Also a little apple cider vinegar rinse after you wash should help.
Wash your clothing with baking soda in the wash cycle and a half cup of white vinegar in the rinse. It won't smell like vinegar when it is dry.

Quoting TakeTwo:

cassiesarcher
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

As long as you shower immediately when you come home and wash your clothes every single day immediately,you will be fine. :)

TakeTwo
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

You're welcome, and it does smell great and works wonders for the skin. Where I live, fish plants in every other community :) at least there were growing up. The fishery has been hit hard here over the past 25 years, many plants closed. 

Quoting ninjakids:

Quoting TakeTwo:

ninjakids
by Christina on May. 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Thats how it is here, where i live we are known for coal mines and fishery lol. The coal mines of course have been closed for many years. I wonder if it will help with my psoriasis though :)

Quoting TakeTwo:

You're welcome, and it does smell great and works wonders for the skin. Where I live, fish plants in every other community :) at least there were growing up. The fishery has been hit hard here over the past 25 years, many plants closed. 

Quoting ninjakids:

Quoting TakeTwo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)