Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

oh boy.. help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

So I just got done priming something and I went to clean the brush, roller and tray but the primer will not come out and just making a mess, what's the easiest/best way to get it out???

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
casseopeia
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Is this an oil-based primer?  If it is, you need mineral spirits or turpentine.

GOBryan
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Paint thinner. You're better off just buying a new brush. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well crap  I just looked and it is... what about getting it off hands? :/

Quoting casseopeia:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM

It's also on a roller we got and it wasn't really a cheap one... plus the tray etc. I cant afford to buy all new every time I use the primer

Quoting GOBryan:

GOBryan
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It's going to be very difficult but paint thinner is the best thing to use, however, once you use paint on a roller, you're better off wrapping it in plastic and saving it in the fridge for the next time you use the same type of primer somewhere else or paint. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's also on a roller we got and it wasn't really a cheap one... plus the tray etc. I cant afford to buy all new every time I use the primer

Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Our fridge is tiny lol. And it's probably going to be a while between projects right now as I have a newborn... But good to know for future reference... For now I'm stuck cleaning them 

Quoting GOBryan:

It's going to be very difficult but paint thinner is the best thing to use, however, once you use paint on a roller, you're better off wrapping it in plastic and saving it in the fridge for the next time you use the same type of primer somewhere else or paint. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GOBryan:

casseopeia
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You can try vegetable oil or Vaseline and scrub with a fingernail brush.  If that doesn't work, try Big Orange cleaner or Goo Gone.  If you don't have those, you can resort to using some kind of solvent like turpentine or gasoline.  That's really bad for your skin and health in general.  Sometimes fingernail polish remover will work.  It really depends on what kind of solvent was used in the primer.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well crap  I just looked and it is... what about getting it off hands? :/

Quoting casseopeia:

casseopeia
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

It should come out of the brush.  Totally worth it if was an expensive one.  I have brushes that were $35 new.  The roller is another story.  You usually can't get those clean, even with latex paint.  In a pinch I've kept them in the freezer overnight.  But after the job, the rollers are tossed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GOBryan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

the roller was one of those foam ones thats like $7 for a small one and i have like5 other projects I need it for lol. Im usually able to get them clean after i use them for painting with regular paint... 

Quoting casseopeia:

It should come out of the brush.  Totally worth it if was an expensive one.  I have brushes that were $35 new.  The roller is another story.  You usually can't get those clean, even with latex paint.  In a pinch I've kept them in the freezer overnight.  But after the job, the rollers are tossed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GOBryan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)