Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are your kids so fat?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies
No, I'm not saying your kids specifically, but kids in general. My son is 4 and so far no weight problems but I was driving past the jr high (7&8 grade if you don't have one near you) and probably 60% of the kids walking home were very obese. And they were all boys but one. Now don't get me wrong, I know some people have medical issues that make them gain weight, I'm not saying anything about them. I'm also not blaming the kids (even though at this age they should be learning about healthy eating) but I'm just curious.
Now to make this fair, because I don't know any of these kids, I'll talk about a few I personally know. My does does jiu-jitsu and you compete based off of weight and skill. There are two boys there I'm pretty sure are in 5th grade, but maybe in 4th. They are about the same height, I'm guessing 5'5 ish, they are a few inches talked than me (5'1) and they are both 150 pounds. I have no clue how active they are outside of class. One of the boys has a younger sister, she's in 3 or 4th grade and she's about 130. I know how much they weight because I've gone to their tournaments before and I know their weight class. Again I don't know how active she is outside of class.
I would also like to add I was a little chunky too. I didn't get heavy until high school (I actually found my old records saying I was 54 pounds in 5th grade) and by the time I was done with school I was about 120. I know why I was heavy, I made poor eating choices.
But I'm curious about these other kids. How do 5th graders weigh 150? That's how much I weighed after my first pregnancy. I just don't get it.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a problem with my two youngest children, but I know what caused the issue and we're addressing it now.  They're not so overweight that they don't fit in age appropriate clothing, that is not plus sized, but they could stand to lose a few pounds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I don't know. I have the opposite problem with my kids. In fact I had DDs doctor talk to me about putting some weight on her over the summer. She will be 8 in a couple of weeks, she will be in third grade next year and she was 44lbs this morning and 49.5 inches tall. She is underweight by bmi and like 7th percentile for weight and like the 42nd percentile for height.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Lots of reasons. Their parents being uneducated about food. The fact that America has a SHITTY ass system regarding food unlike some other countries. Those are probably the main two.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Well at least you're honest about it and am doing something to work it out. My youngest BIL is 17 and is almost 250 pounds, probably even more. He doesn't have any ankles anymore and almost has a third chin. And his mother? Oh no, he's just a little heavy. He seems to think its a joke, but I don't think he'll be laughing when he ends up with some serious health problems from it. I just worry about kids because they don't understand what the extra weight can do to them. After I had my son I've been struggling to lose the weight and it's taking a toll on my joints, I'm only 25, but I have knee problems now from being over weight. I would hate to see what it would be like to be a kid and have all this extra weight on me. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I have a problem with my two youngest children, but I know what caused the issue and we're addressing it now.  They're not so overweight that they don't fit in age appropriate clothing, that is not plus sized, but they could stand to lose a few pounds.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That is really skinny, but I'd rather have  my children skinny than fat.

My DS is 5 and he always been in 0-10 percentile. As long as If she is healthy and happy I would not worry. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know. I have the opposite problem with my kids. In fact I had DDs doctor talk to me about putting some weight on her over the summer. She will be 8 in a couple of weeks, she will be in third grade next year and she was 44lbs this morning and 49.5 inches tall. She is underweight by bmi and like 7th percentile for weight and like the 42nd percentile for height.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

You know what, one of the kids in my son's jiu jitsu class is 7 and he weighs 45 pounds, just a few pounds more than my son who's 4 and 40-42 pounds. He also has another friend who's 6 and 55 pounds! Not an ounce of fat on either of them. I'm not a doctor, but as long as she's eating good I wouldn't worry about making her gain weight lol. Some people just have a crazy metabolism. And the height, maybe she'll grow, but maybe not. Lol. Do you have a lot of short people in your family? I'm one of the shortest at 5'1, most in my family are almost 6 foot. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Love060708kids
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

My kids are thin.  I know what you mean though :/ 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It started in the Summer of 2011.  My father was in hospice, here, for eight weeks.  They stayed in a lot that Summer to be with him and they were eating more than they exercised and developed some bad eating habits.  Of course I was dealing with my own grief and so I just let them do whatever they wanted, as not to upset them.  We're almost completely done with a clean eating, organic food transformation in the house.  It took a lot of time, but we're almost there.  It will benefit all of us.  Fortunately they are only 9 and 6, so there is still time to reestablish good eating habits.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well at least you're honest about it and am doing something to work it out. My youngest BIL is 17 and is almost 250 pounds, probably even more. He doesn't have any ankles anymore and almost has a third chin. And his mother? Oh no, he's just a little heavy. He seems to think its a joke, but I don't think he'll be laughing when he ends up with some serious health problems from it. I just worry about kids because they don't understand what the extra weight can do to them. After I had my son I've been struggling to lose the weight and it's taking a toll on my joints, I'm only 25, but I have knee problems now from being over weight. I would hate to see what it would be like to be a kid and have all this extra weight on me. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Seximama89
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Probably bc of all of the unhealthy processes salt and sugar filled foods nowadays and all the video games and tv ect.
bcoll
by Brandi on May. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM

My 8th grader weighs as much as I do. He's got about 3 inches on me as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)