Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3.5 year old has cavities!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
My dd this morning woke up at 6, crawled in my bed and woke me telling me her teeth hurt. So I get up and we go to the bathroom, I look and her front 2 top teeth have 2 cavities right by the gum. They aren't brown or black. I found that odd. Then she points to her side of her mouth and says 'no it hurts here'. So I tried to look but I can't see anything. So I put some numbing stuff to see if that helped any and she didn't Like that very much...
I can't call the dentist until 8. Its nearly 7 am now. But I'm thinking that she has at least 3 cavities then :-(. We brush our teeth every day. Dd eats a lot of veggies and drinks mainly water. She gets apple juice, and orange juice as well as 1% milk. But she doesn't drink a lot if it.

I'm so sad :-( they won't pull them right???
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM

i dont know...it depends how bad the cavities are...my dd had one pulled and they put a spacer in til the adult tooth came in

idunno1234
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Pull them??  No, most likely they will fill them.

All four of my kids had awful baby teeth.  Their permanent teeth seem okay but between the ages of 4 and 6, they all had a ridiculous amount of cavities, although we did all the right things.

As long as they have regular dental care, she'll be fine.  Hope you have dental insurance though :O

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I would think they would fill them.  My ds1 was about that age when he started getting cavities too.  He now has a mouthful of fillings & even had a full metal crown on a baby tooth.  The dentist was mean and thought I must be giving him junk food/pop all day & not taking care of his teeth...till my other kids were old enough to start going to the dentist & none of them had problems.  

Some people have a bacteria in their mouth that causes them to get cavities...moms have been known to pass it on to their kids when they share their food with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Maybe it hurts where the teeth are erupting thru the gum. My kids complained of sore gums in the back of the mouth and it wad their molars growing in.
itsm3
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM

does she brush her own teeth or do you do it for her/help her? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM
I only had 1 caviety in my life. And that was at 13. Her biodad though has bad teeth :-/

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I would think they would fill them.  My ds1 was about that age when he started getting cavities too.  He now has a mouthful of fillings & even had a full metal crown on a baby tooth.  The dentist was mean and thought I must be giving him junk food/pop all day & not taking care of his teeth...till my other kids were old enough to start going to the dentist & none of them had problems.  

Some people have a bacteria in their mouth that causes them to get cavities...moms have been known to pass it on to their kids when they share their food with them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM
That's what I said to dh. I didn't want to poke around but she has almost all her teeth. Either way I guess the dentist will tell me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe it hurts where the teeth are erupting thru the gum. My kids complained of sore gums in the back of the mouth and it wad their molars growing in.

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

MY son has the same problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM
She brushes them first and then I double check.

Quoting itsm3:

does she brush her own teeth or do you do it for her/help her? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I hope its nothing too bad :-( I hate seeing her in pain.

Quoting Cutenessmom:

MY son has the same problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)