Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My four year old "stole" from me... parenting fail...

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 168 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ugh. FIL gave DS4yo a kindle a while back.

I thought I had turned OFF in game purchases... I had put time limits, blocked the web, installed freetime so he could only do what I approved... I thought I had turned off in game purchases... smh

He REALLY likes Star Wars Angry Birds... 

"Look Mom, I got more ships!"

"good for you bubs, I'm glad you like that game kiddo"

Took me three times, over the course of two days, of him saying that to realize he wasnt getting them from playing the game a lot.

He spent 80 dollars between ships and other things. :/ I dont know about you... but if I have 80 dollars lying around it usually has a predetermined purpose... Fortunately the 80 dollars I had lying around that we deposited to cover it was for this winter's car payments and I can replace it before it is needed... But still... UGH!

Parenting fail.

(No, I dont think he stole from me, he didnt even understand he was using "real money" We did have a talk with him about what the shopping cart means, he didnt get into trouble though, it wasnt his fault.... and I did make sure I turned on the password protection so this doesnt happen again.)

by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mxracers
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Wow that sucks. I had to teach ds 4 to only download the free games. He hasnt messed up yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Yikes. I think you handled it well. Good lesson to other moms really check to make sure kids cant make purchases online.

AngelCodysMom
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Thankfully I was able to password protect mine before either my kids did that. Only because I was playing a game one day and did it. I didn't finish the transaction.But I realized how easy it was.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I locked down everything on dd's tablet. Poor thing can't even listen to music without me entering a password. I just feel better safe than sorry. Definitely noones fault and not a fail just something you overlooked. We all overlook things at times.
crazymom21
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I had this happen but it was only 25 something. I let my 5yr old play coin dozer on my phone while at his eye appointment. I caught it a few hours later. The game people were nice and refunding the money even though they didn't have to. Though they did tell me to enable the password protection lol. Lesson learned.
lovelychaos13
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:56 AM
3 moms liked this

haha it happens but me personally  i dont think a 4 year old should have their own kindle.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lovelychaos13:

haha it happens but me personally  i dont think a 4 year old should have their own kindle.

well, it was a gift from his grandfather... he also has a lot of books and learning games on it. We found old Mr. Rogers episodes on it the other day. I've got time restrictions on it and DH and I have no problem saying enough. He is careful with it and treats it well. 

But I'm also of the mindset that teaching kids how to use technology is just as important as reading, writing, and arithmetic

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM

ugghhh my 2 year old somehow bought a game on my husbands work cell...his boss was not to pleased :/

bad_mama2011
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

That sucks, but I'm sure you'll laugh at it later on.

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

That sucks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN