Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has your kid ever revealed something you wish they hadn't at school?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 136 Replies

9 Embarrassing Family Secrets Kids Reveal at School

by Sarah Bernard

If you take a car ride with either of my daughters you will certainly know my life story by the end of it and probably my mother's and grandmother's as well. I've got two over-sharers and while it can be charming it can also be awkward. Especially when things I'd rather not broadcast end up illuminated in art projects or included in their classroom journals.

I recently spotted a journal entry illustrating the "castle" we live in (not true), the time I took them on a late-night ice cream run in their pajamas (OK, once) and a rendering of the four of us sleeping in the same bed like a pile of monkeys. If only I could have added a footnote: "Actually, this rarely happens because if both girls come in our room in the middle of the night, I'll head back into one of their beds. Best sleep ever!"

From an entirely informal survey of parents' in the same boat, here are the 9 topics of revelation that sting the most.

1. Evidence of Affluence (real or imagined). Drawings of large country houses with pools, hot tubs, huge backyards, tennis courts, Ferraris and helipads.
  2. Broken promises (real or imagined). Pets you'd said you'd get, toys you'd said you'd buy, that little brother they're still waiting for.
  3. Gross habits of dad. Smelly socks. Snoring.
  4. Ever-present Electronics. There's nothing like a family portrait where everyone's either slumped in front of a TV, playing Wii, holding a iPad or all of the above. 
  5. Family routines (real or imagined). When a friend's daughter was asked to draw what they do on weekends she had dad cooking and mom napping. 
  6. Any kind of booze. Wine. Beer. But usually wine.
  7. Family dynamics. When describing her family a friend's kid wrote that she was more like her dad but her sister "has a bad temper like mommy."
  8. Big Birthdays. Sometimes you were hoping to keep certain milestones under the radar.
  9. Dark thoughts on siblings. Sharing a room. Toys that got mysteriously destroyed. Flat out jealousy. It may seem peachy on the surface but when kids reveal their true feelings, it can get ugly.

Has your kid ever revealed something you wish they hadn't at school?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-42-
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this
My oldest went through a lying stage in around the third grade. He told the teacher that he couldn't do his homework at home because his dad and I would fight so loud and so often.

I wanted to die!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM
7 moms liked this

When my DD was in second grade, she was asked to make a list of everything her parents did.  She had a long list of  things her daddy did.  Under my picture, she just wrote "plays tennis".

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM
8 moms liked this

oh my son told his 5th grade teacher that his papa used heroin and that  he does in front of my son.    Papa is diabetic and gives himself insulin injections  lol

ShellLea
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

One time my ods had to draw pictures of things that started with the letter "B" and of course he drew beer. His teacher saved that paper for weeks so she could show me at conferences. We had a good laugh and ended up discussing our favorite beers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Once my son smashed his finger. He told his teacher they did X-rays and it was broke because of a bike crash and that's why it had a splint. I bought the splint at Walgreens because he wouldn't stop whining about it! Lol
MaryCimino
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
20 moms liked this

My daughter's teacher asked the kids to write down what life lesson they learned over the year (Kindergarten). Most kids put friendship and values of sharing and what not. What does MY daughter write? "Glitter is evil, avoid at all costs." Yeah, I'm proud of her for that one.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Kindergarten, my daughter made a card for me.  It said my favorite color was black (not true), my favorite drink was wine.  I was soo embarrassed.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
My son once got hit in the head with a baseball it left a huge knot...his teacher asked him what happened and he told her he ran into a door....she said are you sure....he said I can't remember but my Mom didn't do it! What?!? CPS showed up at my door I told them he was hit with a baseball while we were playing catch....when asked why hi didn't just say that he said he thought people might think I did it on purpose lol
slw123
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

When my son was in kindergarten, he brought a stuffed monkey that we had picked up at Goodwill for show and tell.  He told his teacher that we got it at "the stinky store".  Then he proceeded to tell her that "it's not really called the stinky store, that's what my mom calls it, it's really called Goodwill".

Then she told me the story and I turned 20 shades of bright red and almost died laughing.

Dippydoomomof2
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Earlier this year my 6 year old forgot her show and tell so she told the whole class about my moms kidney stones. Then last week we has to tell her that her daycare lady passed away so she told everyone about that. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)