Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Well I lost a friend for being honest...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have known this girl since I was 5...so over 30 years. 

Anyway she called me yesterday freaking out because she apparently reached her cap on Food Stamps and will no longer be eligible for them starting 1 June.  She wanted to know how she was going to afford food now.  She didn't like my advice.  She has two kids.  The girl is in dance with my dd.  She is each and every class my dd is in which is 5 classes.  She also plays softball and does gymnastics.  Her son is in Karate, soccer, baseball, and gymnastics.

I told her she should cut out some of these activities because that alone will give her food money.  My dd would not be doing them if I could not afford all of it on my own.  I also told her she needed to go after the boys dad for child support. 

She said her kids deserved to do these activities and she wasn't taking them away.  NOW...  I work my ass off so that my dd can be in her activities and she doesn't do near as many as her kids.  She does what I can afford.  This girl is on disability for uncontrolled diabetes. 

This morning I noticed she deleted me off of FB and sent me a message.  She said a true friend would have helped her.  Well...I thought I offered sound advice.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh screw her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this
What were you suppose to do? "help" her by feeding her family? Not your responsibility. I agree with you. My DDs don't do tons of extra stuff because I can't afford it. But we eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

What did she want you to do...but her groceries? You gave her sound advice. SMH

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
What were you supposed to do? Throw her a petty party and give her money every month? You told her the truth. She just doesn't want to see the truth. She would rather feel sorry for herself.
jillbailey26
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM
5 moms liked this

You did help her.  That whole "teach a man to fish" deal.  She needs to learn how to fish.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

angevil53
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Surely you could've bought her groceries from now on. *eyeroll*
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I pay about $300/month for my dd's activities...her dd is in more than mine.  More than enough for food for three people.   

Quoting hddcooper:

What were you suppose to do? "help" her by feeding her family? Not your responsibility. I agree with you. My DDs don't do tons of extra stuff because I can't afford it. But we eat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

You can't help those who just want a hand out. A true friend wouldn't have expected that from you. 

lacyd75
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Some people just want you tell them what they WANT to hear. You were being a true friend telling her what she NEEDED to hear. If she can't handle it then that's her loss. I tell my friends if you don't want my honest opinion, then don't ask.

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
You advised the same thing I would have. My family budgets for those things. My kids are only in 1 activity at a time so we will have money for food. If we ever get in a bind, financially, those activities would be the first to go. Kids deserve food & clothes....they don't "deserve" ballet lessons.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)