Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you deal with coaches that can't coach?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

I'm having a dilema with my 7yo. He plays youth baseball in our community. He loves it and has a great time. the problem is his coach sucks. He knows nothing about the sport and is teaching these kids nothing about the sport. I've tried to nicely give him some pointers on drills to run with the kids, but he's not interested. My husband offered to help out, but he's got 2 other guys and doesn't feel he needs more. It's beyond frustrating not seeing the kids grow. We're in a age group that we need to be lying down fundamentals, but we're not. I watch the other teams and can see they are getting this direction, so I know it's out there.

So I feel stuck. Coaches have already been assigned, teams have been made...so what can I do? 

Should I say something to the 7yo director? 

should I just wait until next year and request a different team(is that even allowed)? 

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cmabbott
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Next year volunteer to coach yourself, then you won't have any complaints!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

They don't need any more coaches. You can't just be a coach. There are only a specifci amount of children, lol. 

Quoting cmabbott:

Next year volunteer to coach yourself, then you won't have any complaints!

Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Dude- my sons coach refuses to have practice. Apparently the 6 times they practiced prior to games is sufficient and they should all be all star major leaguers now. Ass. We went to the director of the sportsplex over it. He willingly allowed two parents to get into a verbal altercation that almost led to violence and got a third set of parents into it. Ugh. Next year my husband is going to be a main coach- this year he's only an assistant.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

BUMP!

MamaFLgurl
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Talk to the other parent and see where they stand. If you all feel the same I would go to the director. Do you know someone else wiling to take the coaches place?
BluePandaDreams
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Funny how this works. Seems universal, even. And it doesn't matter what age group either. Parents who put their kids into sports think the kid's coach is crappy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Honestly I think thats typical. I know here we have games 3 times a week, so we don't practice during the season either. We get there 20 minutes early and consider that warm up/practice. But the games are supposed to be instructional, so they should be learning as they're playing. 

How old is your childs age group?

Quoting Ninjascreenname:

Dude- my sons coach refuses to have practice. Apparently the 6 times they practiced prior to games is sufficient and they should all be all star major leaguers now. Ass. We went to the director of the sportsplex over it. He willingly allowed two parents to get into a verbal altercation that almost led to violence and got a third set of parents into it. Ugh. Next year my husband is going to be a main coach- this year he's only an assistant.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Wow, yeah this really is an issue with alot of kids/coaches.. My dh is a coach and he coaches my DD's AAA softball team. I ds who is also in ball and in the peewee division. 

When it come's to coaches who cannot coach you do have to contact the league vp. I am freinds with my sons peewee vp and she says at any point if there is something wrong, bad coaching, bullying or what ever the case may you should always call or email them. 

We went through this same thing last year.. It was so bad. My ds team was a hot mess. When it came to warm ups for the kids they were all runnng around the coaches were talking sipping on coffee meanwhile the other teams were running drills,  warming up their arms and so on. I was so embarassed that my son was on that team. My dh would go and grab a bat, ball and glove and get out there and warm up our son. When he did do this all the other boys would flock over to him and want to join in. 

This year the only issue I have is that ds his coach's son is a  bully and messes with mine all the time. Ds is a very good little catcher and loves that position and coach's son decided he wanted to try it, so guess who has that posititon now? Yeah, coaches kid. It infuriates me, my son can sit in the squatting position during the whole inning if he had too, but the other kid has to get on his knees. Makes me so mad, the favortism and nepatism these coaches show their kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I've spoken to a few and I think we all feel the same.

I honeslty like the guy, he's really great...he just sucks at baseball. 

It's not like you can kick a coach out though? KWIM?

Quoting MamaFLgurl:

Talk to the other parent and see where they stand. If you all feel the same I would go to the director. Do you know someone else wiling to take the coaches place?

katarina666
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Get then fired!Start a petion with the other parents to have him removed due to his incompetance! Then take it straight to the director.If nothing happens have the child switch teams if possible.Next year see if your husband and some other people you know who actually give a darn,and know about the sport can get the coachin spot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN