Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Motherhood & Disability

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 368 Replies
5 moms liked this
If you can have sex, manage a pregnancy, handle child birth, and care for said child... How can you say you are disabled? If you can do those things why is it you cant manage employment?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
4 moms liked this

I completely agree with you.  Unless she became disabled after having kids. The ones that claim mental illness are truly scary too(and then go and have kids)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Only agree if they were disabled prior to having children.

angevil53
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Abso freakin lutely!!!! I don't get it at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM

my aunt is disabled, and adopted 2 children. she is a great mother and takes care of them very well. i myself am disabled without the paper because i did not want to file for disability and take money that i did not need. but i am not able to hold a job. and dh and i have been TTC for our first for many years. i think it all just depends on the type of disability that you have. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

But if you can't do any work, what makes you think you can do the most important job of raising a child??? 

Not trying to be mean.  I just honestly don't understand that concept.  The job of bringing a child into the world and providing for all their needs for 18 years is the biggest, toughtest job anyone could ever have.

Quoting Anonymous:

my aunt is disabled, and adopted 2 children. she is a great mother and takes care of them very well. i myself am disabled without the paper because i did not want to file for disability and take money that i did not need. but i am not able to hold a job. and dh and i have been TTC for our first for many years. i think it all just depends on the type of disability that you have. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well some quadrapeligics and parapalegics are parents...

My MIL has parkinsons; she was a nurse so she couldn't do it anymore after the symptoms got too bad... she could still manage a house; raise children and have sex. And her husband works

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Disabled people have the right to be parents too. My sister is blind... so she can't work where she used to (as a doctor). But she successfully started and raised a family. Her husband works.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM
3 moms liked this

banging head into wall

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do you think blind people can't work?  How does she take care of her kids if she can't work?

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

Disabled people have the right to be parents too. My sister is blind... so she can't work. But she successfully started and raised a family. Her husband works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)