Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are teachers going too far with school projects? S/O

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 235 Replies

I read the other post about the 4th grade student who needs have a miniature working amusement park ride in just 2 weeks, that goes along with another small project due at the same time, and I wondered, are teachers taking projects too far?

The students have to do these extremely in-depth projects in just a couple of weeks, on top of their other homework, extra-curricular activities, baseball and dance practice, etc.  Most of these projects involve a parent due to either teacher request or the depth of the project requires a parent to be involved, and a lot of parents simply don't have the extra time to devote to one more thing.  Parents work, they go to school, they have their own projects and final exams, on top of running a household.

Not only that, some parents just don't have the extra funds for such a cost-worthy project.  Heck, the project my kindergartener did at the beginning of the school year cost at least $50 in materials!  

Do you think school projects are getting out of hand?  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTROX
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Yes.  I hate at home projects.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM
26 moms liked this

Extracurricular activities are just that: EXTRA. If your child can't do a project for school, they can't go to dance class. Simple enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't know what public school is like, but my first graders' school is project based learning. She gets a lot of projects.

We recently did one on the layers of the Earth. She did the layers in play-doh, made a poster and presented it on a video. She had fun. I had fun. It didn't really cost a lot.

She has another project due in three weeks. it's about hereditry traits. She created her own animal (a fire breathing fish that flies. Hello scary).

kellysp6637
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:12 AM
10 moms liked this

No, I LOVE it when my daughter brings home project requests......school has become so route and teaching to tests, so that when projects come home, I welcome them as a chance to work with my daughter and explore our creative sides.....last month her project was a biography bottle project... she had to create a famous person from Massachusetts out of a 2 liter bottle....and write a paper about them.  We had an amazing time creating that thing....and even tried out paper mache (for the head) for the first time.  It was AWESOME!

Lonijog
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM
5 moms liked this

I used to teach fourth grade and that does seem a bit much. What supplies are you supposed to provide? And what learning concept is this project connected to? I teach in a middle to low income area, so I try very hard to only give projects where the supplies are affordable or free (egg cartons, etc) and usually maybe two at home ones a year, if that.  I do know teachers, however, where they give no consideration to parents. These are the same teachers that schedule a million field trips that cost 15.00 - 20.00 each. 

tardistraveller
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
5 moms liked this

yes, honestly if the parent needs any involvement past helping for it to get done it goes to far.  I'm not going to school, my kid is thanks.

I have written notes to the principal about a project that went too far and said flat out, he isn't doing this.  Turns out it was out of hand to the principal too and the project got pulled.  Other parents approached me waiting at the doors for the bell and thanked me.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM
In that case yes absolutely
tardistraveller
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM
6 moms liked this

if school becomes so invasive into private time that is too much.

Quoting Anonymous:

Extracurricular activities are just that: EXTRA. If your child can't do a project for school, they can't go to dance class. Simple enough.

Acid
by on May. 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM
4 moms liked this

If your kid can't handle the curriculum pull them out of school.

The teachers do not decide what project is which.  They are following the curriculum set out for them and what  is expected of a child at that age and Grade level.

If you can't handle the extra curricular activities it's time to stop them.

Stop blaming teachers for something they have no control over.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM
5 moms liked this
I'll be sure to tell my son that his martial arts learned discipline is an extra and he is free to behave like the other hellions at school.

Would you feel the same about church rather than an extracurricular?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured