Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Our new neighbors are Muslim

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 214 Replies
4 moms liked this
I've never actually met a muslim person. I know they don't eat pork, but they also mentioned no chicken either. We wanted to invite them over, but don't know what they might like to eat, or really anything about Muslims at all. I know there are some Muslim mommies here, what do you suggest as far as foods and things I should know beforehand? Thanks in advance :)
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Ooh. Yuck. Um, bump.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
9 moms liked this
I am Muslim. I suggest a vegetarian dish, because they might wonder if the meat you serve is halal. We are not different then anyone else.
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask them, or just Google 'halal foods'.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
We eat chicken just not pork. You could cook me anything and I would be happy. But I would do tea, coffee, small dessert, cookies, nuts
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM
My ex used to make tandoori chicken and it was so good.
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

My parents neighbors were Muslim and she made spaghetti and a salad.  They ate it.

ihave1
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The chicken, BEEF HAS to be halal.  That is the way  the animal was killed,     If you can not get Halal meats then just do a vegetarian meal.   Do you have a Indian/Pakistani store near  where you live, if so they should have Halal meats.  Then you can use that to cook what ever  you want.  Also do you know where they are from? 

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on May. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

They can eat meats, but it must be "halal". Blessed. It is like Jews eating kosher foods. No alcohol, Muslims don't drink. Even with the cooking, you wouldn't be able to use chicken stock or beef broth, as it is a meat product...only halal stuff can be used.

bchic24
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Most of husband's family are Muslim but they eat chicken. My suggestion is like the other ladies said, do a vegetarian dish. My hubby's family loves a good veggie curry and rice. GL
ihave1
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
10 moms liked this

Excuse me, what is yuck? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Ooh. Yuck. Um, bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)