Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lawyer or No Lawyer *Poll Added*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Poll

Question: Get a lawyer and let it drag out or just send in the paperwork and get it over with?

Options:

let it drag out (with lawyer)

get it over with (no lawyer)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 4

View Results

So, should I get a lawyer?  It is a settlement from the insurance company from an accident--they need a little more paperwork to close my claim (thought it was closed 2yrs ago after all medical bills were paid, never got a settlement because I didn't know I was suppose to get one).  I don't want this drug out over 6 months to a year.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

if you thought it was closed 2 years ago, and you have already accepted the settlement, why would you get a lawyer NOW? You should have had one then, now is too late!

twade26
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Lawyer definitely.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

if you thought it was closed 2 years ago, and you have already accepted the settlement, why would you get a lawyer NOW? You should have had one then, now is too late!

They paid my medical bills and replaced dd's carseat.  I thought it was done after that--apparently not.  I never received a settlement and got a letter at my parents house about them needing more information for my claim.  I called and apparently because I have permament affects from the accident they will be paying me a settlement.  I really just want it all done with, I don't think I could go to court--not with my anxiety (which is from the accident).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

BUMP!

bryantlegal
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Why get a lawyer after all of this time? They are willing to pay out the settlement so it's not like they are denying your claim. Pay the lawyer and he'll get 33% of your settlement. Settle without the lawyer and you get the full claim.

dalbax2
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM

You might not even need to go to court.   I didn't have to.   I suggest getting a lawyer to help you.  I was in a bad car accident in 1999 and would NOT have gone thru a settlement w/o a lawyer.  My medical bills were all paid plus I received a financial settlement.  The whole thing took not quite 2 years.  Yes.....my lawyer got a nice percentage but to me it was worth it as he did everything for me plus stuff he didn't need to do.  IF you are suffering from anxiety as a result of the accident then I strongly suggest a lawyer so the insurance company doesn't try to take advantage of you.  PM me if you would like to discuss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)