Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So You Think YOUR Child Is Special????

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 262 Replies
I talk to a lot of moms who feel their child has special needs.

Autistic, odd, add, and the list is long.

On the other end of the spectrum are those that feel their child is "gifted", and waaay smart, and has "special needs" relative to school..

Do you feel that your child has special needs, is "gifted", or is pretty much your average kid and her/his age?

NOTE****This is NOT a bashing post, and I'm not calling into doubt the veracity, or accuracy of these mother's claims. I am just curious to know where the percentages fall.
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BestestMom11
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I'll go first - I think my dd is average. She's 2.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

my child is gifted, and has been labeled so by the school

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Ds is your typical 4 year old boy. i think he is amazingly smart but he hasnt been deemed a genius just yet. lol
DeidreIsAMommy
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM
1 mom liked this
My little baby girl is average. She's only 9 months, though.
Still behind on crawling. But, she stands! <3
teri4lance
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids are gifted. My entire family is, so it's nothing new. I can tell you the resources and education I received as a gifted student in the 80s is far far and beyond superior to what they receive now. It's pretty pitiful. So much for fostering superiority. It's going to bite us in the ass in 20 years when we've wasted the potential of so many gifted children. Investing in education improves all of our lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by Samantha on May. 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is in 2nd grade. He has ADHD & is gifted. He was tested and is way above average in both reading and science. He is reading on a 7th grade level and goes to an upper grade for spelling. My daughter is in K and is average. I am so thankful she is average now. She was in speech and OT therapy from 9 months until she was 3. She had no words until she was 18 months.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know if they are gifted but they are certainly special.
romalove
by SakePrincess on May. 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM

My oldest and middle children are special to me but are typical kids (although my middle child is the funniest human being on the planet, she is 24 and wants to do stand up and she should).

My youngest is musically gifted, plays multiple instruments, sings, writes music and lyrics, etc.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Well my son has several medical disorders and was labled as being gifted through testing so I guess that would be a yes to your question.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Ds 15 is both special needs and gifted. He has bipolar, adhd, anxiety and aspergers. But scored at genius levels through testing at school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)