Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filing Abandonment

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I just realized I have less than 3 months left until my sons 1st birthday. I should just be happy but I'm really scared too. His biofather wanted nothing to do with me as soon as I said I was pregnant. We started to work it out, he cheated on me. We started to work it out again when I was 5 months pregnant and then he got a new girlfriend and she didnt want him to have anything to do with me or my son and he agreed!
He has never seen my son, not even a picture, doesnt even know his name. He blocked my phone number right after the baby was born because I texted him asking for his address so my son could get Medicaid and we fought for hours and he refused. (My son did end up getting medicaid but now we have to do a paternity test, mine and my sons is done, and they have to find him) We havent talked since then. I made a 2nd facebook and have messaged him twice in the almost year he hasnt spoken to me just asking him to TALK to me about what he wants to do! Medicaid is now considered a part of Welfare in my state and I am on food stamps so THE STATE is going after him for child support (I told him that. No response.).
I want to file abandonment since he has never seen my son and never given me a penny. But can I even do that if I'm on welfare? I doubt it :/ I absolutely 100% need my sons medical insurance!

Also, what if he tries to go for custody once they start demanding child support, will he get it? I have saved texts with him saying he doesnt want him and telling me to fuck off. But he has a 6 year old daughter he gets every other weekend (I heard he just went for 50/50 and was denied) too. He works as a cook and cannot drive from an OUI and hasnt driven for years but his *fiance* drives him around.
I dont need your judgement, I've beaten myself up enough. I just need solid advice.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Just let him be
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
I WANT to but the state is going to demand child support. If I get child support I cant file abandonment. DHHS sent me paperwork for child support a few months ago and I havent filled it out. I want to see the paternity results before I let them start that whole process. I want to wait as long as possible :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Just let him be

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM

leave him alone and let the state take care of the child support..that is their job...you just need to file for full, sole custody, and then if he wants visitation later he will have to go to court for it, and he probably wont

Quoting Anonymous:

I WANT to but the state is going to demand child support. If I get child support I cant file abandonment. DHHS sent me paperwork for child support a few months ago and I havent filled it out. I want to see the paternity results before I let them start that whole process. I want to wait as long as possible :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Just let him be

AjsMom0508
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
If you are receiving state assistance you will either comply with the child support requirements or lose your assistance. Quit trying to contact him. It will not get you anywhere. As for custody its not likely he will get much if anything since he has had absolutely nothing to do with your child.
askyourmother
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
You can't do that since you are on welfare. The reason for filing that is to get his rights removed so that a stepparent can adopt him. They will find him eventually.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I would let the state do whatever. But I would not try to Hey in tOuch with him. I would just leave it as is. . It won't happen Over night.. they would only do supervised if anything. . But perSonally I would have never given his info I would not chance him trying to see him
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM
All you have to give the state is his name. It is up to them to find him. You can't file "abandonment". You can have his rights taken away if you are married and your DH does a step-parent adoption. Yes if he tries to get visitation he most likely will get it. My ex did 5 yrs after abandoning my DD.
chalisa0
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM

So? Let the state go after child support.  You won't get it, they will-to cover your PA.  Do what DSHS asks.  It is really in your child's best interest.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Just let him be

BraydensMama163
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I can tell you in Mississippi once he has reached the time for you to be able to file abandonment no judge would give him rights if you don't want him to have them. But you need to take him to court. Start calling family attorneys and meet with one, first meeting is usually free. And a lot of attorneys will work with you. If you have anything saed then give that to thw attorney. Its also important that when you go to coury you can prove your child doesn't know this man as a father to him. That looks good on you. And you can keep medicaid but my attorney suggested we not file for food stamps until our case was over simply because the state has the responsibility of hunting him down for child support and that will just back track you. Your not going to loose insurance they don't look for child support to claim insurance but they will for food stamps. So stay away from that, but your perfectly safe with insurance. Just get an attorney and settle this in court as quickly as you can.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured