Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Abercrombie....ETA More proof it was a marketing scheme

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

I keep reading all of this stuff about Abercrombie.

While Mark Jeffries DID in fact admit they were exclusionary in the production of their clothes, I think the new quote is getting out of hand.

Mark Jefferies did not go to some press conference and say "we don't like fat people".

Robin Lewis mentioned this.

Pay attention to every major article, including the original article from business insider. What else was mentioned?

HIS BOOK.

So if Robin Lewis mentions something controversial, but doesn't go into full detail, and happens to talk about his book in the same interview, what are people going to do? They're going to buy this book to see if he explains more about it. Or if he talks about other CEOs and other stores.

Also if you look at Robin Lewis and Michael Dart, the two authors of the book, and their history, you will see that both authors are invested in clear competitors of A&F and have been for years.

I'm not saying that what's being said is right. But seeing as it didn't come from Jeffries mouth to the press that A&F "hates" fat people or any of these other ridiculous quotes aside from a 2006 quote that said his clothes were exclusionary, it seems kind of interesting that, in a time when body image and media portrayal is one of the most heated topics in America, a person would mention this comment in the same interview where he's trying to market his new book.

Anyone who has majored in marketing should have easily been able to catch the obvious marketing ploy in his statements.

Long story short. HE'S SELLING A BOOK PEOPLE. Until Jeffries owns up to it or denies it, don't take what's being said at face value.

Hollister doesn't make clothes for bigger people either, American Eagle and Aeropostale carry very limited (if any) plus size stock in most of their stores. However, one or both of these men have history with these stores. Which explains why they would say nothing about their lack of including larger people or the CEO opinions on the matter.

ETA: So I mentioned Michael Dart above. Not only have the sales of an old book started to skyrocket again, but Michael Dart, and more so the company he works for, has a big role in this.

Up until fairly recent, Kurt Salmon (the company Michael Dart was employed with) was the consulting firm for A&F, H&M, and American Eagle.

A&F recently dropped Kurt Salmon for another consulting company. However, if you read the Business Insider article, the two stores that are mentioned for having lines of clothes with plus sizes (H&M and AE) are still current clients of Kurt Salmon.

Considering Robin Lewis connection to Michael Dart, the fact that absolutely nothing new was said by the CEO of A&F since the 2006 quotes, and the fact that the stores mentioned are stores that are still a part of the firm involved with the people mentioned...well that's way to obvious to be a coincidence.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Don't care. I'm a size 2 and I wouldn't buy his trashy,poorly made, perfume stinky, overpriced clothes if he paid me to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM
H&M stop at 14 too I think, it used to be 12 until people started getting pissy. A lot of stores and the majority of designers don't offer bigger sizes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Exactly! It's book sales and investments. Less sales at A&E for brand concious people, even the "skinny" people who are insulted by this, mean more sales at the brands they've invested in.

Quoting Anonymous:

H&M stop at 14 too I think, it used to be 12 until people started getting pissy. A lot of stores and the majority of designers don't offer bigger sizes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM
It's just people pissy because the can't wear their clothes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Disagree
I have friends who had entire wardrobes of A&E and threw them out over this. They could easily wear them. People are pissed off because more and more kids are becoming anorexic, bullying, and even committing suicide over something as ridiculous as body image and it's become a serious topic in America. And to be told that only skinny women are pretty is wrong. Beauty is about more than the size of your clothing. I'm a size 2, and I can easily wear A&E as well. I choose not to because of the cost. Not worth it in my opinion.

However the fact that people are falling so easily for an obvious marketing ploy just astounds me. Have we really become that simple of a society that people can't see through something like that?
Quoting Anonymous:

It's just people pissy because the can't wear their clothes.
ajdahd13
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM

AE, and Hollister sizes go up to XL. Abercrombie's don't. I think that's the issue. 

redbutterfly666
by Emerald Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

eh even at my smallest a friggen hated those types of stores so they never got business from me anyway

-_-
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
It's not like this is a new store. The marketing has been the same for years. Really, this whole thing is like a school firing a coach because his wrongdoing went public... but not firing him because the wrongdoing happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)