Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is This Too Much To Ask For? *ETA*

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 44 Replies

When my sisters and I asked our mother (43) what she wants for Mother's Day she said: A laptop. What?! None of us have a lot of money, I mean we get by of course and aren't "poor" but we aren't rich either. We all 3 feel like that's more of a Christmas/Birthday gift. Our mom said if she doesn't get one Sunday, she won't talk to us Monday. Really?! Come on. Mother's Day is a card and dinner holiday! Mind you, she doesn't even have internet at her house. And her last one got smashed by her crazy ex (on again, off again)boyfriend. We don't want to invest in something that'll be soon destroyed. And that she can't even use. Are we in the wrong, or is our mother?

EDIT: FOR THOSE OF YOU SAYING "WELL WHY DID YOU ASK WHAT SHE WANTS?" We always get her an outfit, a card, and flowers. Then split the cost of dinner where ever she wants to eat. That's what we were asking when we said "What do you want" She knows the treadition and knew what we meant. It's always been like this, and until this year, it's been fine. Now, for those of you saying to just get it: SHE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE INTERNET. AND WE WILL NOT LET HER GIVE US AN ULTIMATUM. And remember, the one we got her for Christmas was DESTROIED by her piece of crap boyfriend. 

ALSO: The 3 of us went in on a $100 Visa gift card, to help with the cost of her  laptop without breaking our banks. My sister just called to say our mom said "Screw your gift card, take it and buy my outfit. I don't want it" Really? And yes, she has ALWAYS been this dramatic when she wants something she thinks she deserves...

AND WE'RE ALL HAVING DINNER AT OLIVE GARDEN IN AN HOUR -_-

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I never understood why people ask what people want for something then bitch about what they want.....

kaylaybaby666
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't get it
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM

a laptop divided by how many sisters can come to less than $75 each or if you get a netbook it will be under $50 each.. if thats what she wants, and you did ASK her what she wanted then get it

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If you believe it's a "card and a dinner holiday" then why even bother asking what she wanted? A card and dinner is pretty straight forward....

Anyway, to answer your actual question--she's being immature. Threatening not to speak to someone if they don't get the gift you want is something a child would do. Not a grown woman. 

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It is a bit much to ask, if she knows your financial situation.

However, don't ASK her what she wants (like you did) and then say (like you did) that mothers day is about "a card and dinner".

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

olliesmommy2
by Metal Awareness on May. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I wouldn't care what she asked for, if she told me she wouldn't talk to me if I didn't get it for her I'd tell her to piss off.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I'd call her on her bluff.

emandab
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well, I was going to say that laptops nowadays (especially split several ways between siblings) aren't very expensive.  THen I read the rest of the paragraph and say HELL NO! lol  

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If shes going to get pissy about not getting a laptop for mothers day I wouldn't go over there.   shes crazy to expect a expensive gift for a holiday other than christmas.  even then its a bit much

Benjamins-mama
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

if my mother threw a fit saying if I don't get what I want then I won't speak to you after.....   hell no I would not buy her a laptop.  it doesn't matter if its split pricewise.  

Quoting AJsMom81507:

a laptop divided by how many sisters can come to less than $75 each or if you get a netbook it will be under $50 each.. if thats what she wants, and you did ASK her what she wanted then get it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN