Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you think its okay. ..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
To mispronounce the same words your kids do while talking to them? My kids are only 3 and some of the words are pronounced wrong...u know instead of "lips" its "wips" or "like" its "wike".... like most kids their age but they are still very understandable. Idk if I think they will know what I'm talking bout more if I say it wrong like them or if I just find it cute to say it like them but sometimes i find my self doing it when I talk to them. In your opinion its it okay to do that or do u find it harmful to the development of their speech? ?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustBreath2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
No I insist on proper speech to my kids
Val99
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Mispronouncing words sounds almost like you are making fun of them.  I always spoke correct english in the hope that my children would learn to do the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

To mispronounce the same words your kids do while talking to them? My kids are only 3 and some of the words are pronounced wrong...u know instead of "lips" its "wips" or "like" its "wike".... like most kids their age but they are still very understandable. Idk if I think they will know what I'm talking bout more if I say it wrong like them or if I just find it cute to say it like them but sometimes i find my self doing it when I talk to them. In your opinion its it okay to do that or do u find it harmful to the development of their speech? ?

Logan_Bellasmom
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

No you need to use the proper words.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's a huge deal. It's not like they're going to grow up and still be 20 years old saying "Wittle" instead of little

wumbo
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
DONT. DO. IT.
Rosebud27aj
by Amanda on May. 9, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't really answer for my 3 yr old, he doesn't talk. But my 6 yr old is really delayed in speech and mispronounces a lot of words. Nobody but me can understand him. When he mispronounces words, for the most part I will say the word right and he will copy me.

wumbo
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
My friends brother is that way. His parents thought it was cute and figured he would grow out of it.... Wrong. Hes 24.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think it's a huge deal. It's not like they're going to grow up and still be 20 years old saying "Wittle" instead of little

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Lol that's how a huge part of me feels.

Quoting Anonymous:

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a cousin whose grandmother would repeat what he said, no matter how much he butchered the word because she thought it was cute. He ended up not speaking correctly for a very long time. My daughter is 2.5 and if she says something incorrectly, I will say it to her correctly and exaggerate my mouth movements so she can see how I'm placing my lips, tongue, etc to get the sound. She will usually repeat it back to me maybe not perfectly, but better than she did before.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
24 woow....lol maybe i should stop

Quoting wumbo:

My friends brother is that way. His parents thought it was cute and figured he would grow out of it.... Wrong. Hes 24.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)