Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

In-laws feeding DD junk food galore..

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

So, we are going to visit DH's parents in Vegas again next month, and I am not really looking forward to this trip. Me and 5 yr old DD just got back in March from a 2 weeks vaca there, and somehow over the years, they have decided it is a wonderful tradition to give my DD at least one-two ice creams from the ice cream man a day. Nomatter how many times I said, no that is enough!, they say "she is on vacation, she will be back home eating healthy soon".  She gained 3 pounds the last trip, that is a lot when she only weighed 40 lbs to start. She isnt over wieght but she does have a rounded stomach.  

She is about to start Kinder and I know kids can be cruel.  I swear I am going to get really ugly if they try to step around my rules this time.  I will go as far as taking the ice cream from my DD's poor hands and throwing it in the trash.  If I have to look like the bad guy, I will.   I will not tolerate them loading my child with pure sugar and fat because they want to "spoil" her. If they love her that much, they need to realize they arent doing anything but harm to her this way.  I will tell them they can spoil her with toys, not food...   !!!!!!!!

by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poohbearkfc
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you 100%. We aren't even allowing surgar at all right now. My daughter is 1.
jwaren
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

There is no need to be the bad guy, you just need to plan ahead and blame it on the dr.  "Her pediatrician says we need to watch her sugar intake in order to keep her bmi where it should be.  Last time we were here really set her back, can we limit treats to one a day this trip?"   Their son needs to step up too and have it come from him as well.

Brookiesmom2011
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My father in law spends the day at our house every Sunday and pulls this same garbage. It really pisses me off!! I came downstairs this last Sunday morning and he was feeding her giant marshmellows straight out of the bag, one after another (my daughter is only 21 months and definitely doesn't need that stuff!!) The bag was 2/3 gone by the time I got down and saw him doing it. Ugh... I can't stand him. 

She is your kid and I say stand your ground! And be happy they don't live very close and you only see them on vacations ;) I wish that were my case!

angie944
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, it just really irritates me that people do that. "oh I want that kid to love me, lets keep loading them up with sugar!"  My DD wouldnt love them any less if she didnt get all that crap food to eat all the time.  She would probably feel much better and have more fun since she isnt bloated all the time.  

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:44 PM

If you are all grownups-have the discussion with all of you before you get there. Keep it simple-not need to b*tch-slap anyone.....

Brookiesmom2011
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I really like this! I think I may need to do this with my FIL, lol!! As it is I have just been getting angry and annoyed with him.

Quoting jwaren:

There is no need to be the bad guy, you just need to plan ahead and blame it on the dr.  "Her pediatrician says we need to watch her sugar intake in order to keep her bmi where it should be.  Last time we were here really set her back, can we limit treats to one a day this trip?"   Their son needs to step up too and have it come from him as well.

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
I see you setting her up for an eating disordered later in life.. Wow.
JustBreath2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this
I disagree with you. On vacation give her a dang break. I mean that is what grandparents are for. I think this world is so obsessed with being supermom/ dad that kids are no longer kids. Mine eat healthy meals but when we go on vacation, we have fun. I guess i am old school,. All my kids are fit and healthy and still indulge and even go crazy at times. They survive without only veggies...GASP. sorry, but relax.... oh and btw you are teaching you child vanity. Good job. Why? Being concerned with kids picking on her over some chub. Btw kindergarteners do not averagely do that...lol I have had three in already.
angie944
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Well I have told them that I dont like them feeding her so much junk, and they keep doing it.  It hasnt just been that last trip, it has been since she was born, that is why I am beyond frustrated now.  We lived with them when DD was born until she was 1.5 yrs old. They would feed her crap all the time, I finally told DH either we move to our own place, or else..........

Quoting happinessforyou:

If you are all grownups-have the discussion with all of you before you get there. Keep it simple-not need to b*tch-slap anyone.....

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on May. 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Shoo.. I thought i was the only one, lol.

Quoting JustBreath2013:

I disagree with you. On vacation give her a dang break. I mean that is what grandparents are for. I think this world is so obsessed with being supermom/ dad that kids are no longer kids. Mine eat healthy meals but when we go on vacation, we have fun. I guess i am old school,. All my kids are fit and healthy and still indulge and even go crazy at times. They survive without only veggies...GASP. sorry, but relax.... oh and btw you are teaching you child vanity. Good job. Why? Being concerned with kids picking on her over some chub. Btw kindergarteners do not averagely do that...lol I have had three in already.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)