Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers, why do you do this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 351 Replies

When there is a parents' activity going on in the morning, why do you pressure the parents to take the kids with them before school is out?

Background:

My daughter has had several parent activities throughout the school year, she's in first grade.  The first was a Patriotic show during Veteran's Day, the second was decorating Gingerbread houses, and the third is tomorrow-- field day. Every time there is an activity, the teacher has a sign out sheet, and if we show up to said activity we are expected to sign our kid out for the rest of the day.  Tomorrow, I cannot take my daughter with me, the rest of the day I have a few errands to run, and I need to be childfree.  And this sounds horrible, but it's mostly for my own sanity-- my husband is deployed and anytime sans children is refreshes me for the next day.  My daughter has been pretty good, but she does not shut up, she does not leave me alone, and I any tasks I need to get down take three times as long.  So I'm not taking her.  But inevitably I will be pressured.  I was just curious as to why?  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 9, 2013 at 8:37 PM
14 moms liked this
I don't know but when ds was in PS I loved that. I sure as hell didn't want to drive back to the school and wait in line for an hour if I didn't have to.
ff-princess
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know.  they deliberately plan our events at the end of the day so it's not disruptive to take our children with us.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
8 moms liked this

Ive never heard of that, my daughter is expected to stay at school until the end of the day.

NoahandEliza
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Hmm, our school doesn't do that so idk. It's a big deal and an unexcused absence if the kids are checked out early simply because you're there.
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM

really!? that sounds insane to me

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Tomorrow the activity ends at 10:30 AM.  All our activities have been in the morning.  If it were at the end of the day, I would be more inclined to sign her out.  But it's extremely disruptive.

Quoting ff-princess:

I don't know.  they deliberately plan our events at the end of the day so it's not disruptive to take our children with us.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Its mainly so parents don't have to come back to school to pick kids up. Usually there isn't anything major pladnned for the day after that because the kids are often worn out and don't really focus. I wouldn't feel pressured to take them if you don't feel like it. We never get rid of all the kids, lol. I usually enjoyed the time with the ones I had left. 

maxswolfsuit
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
9 moms liked this

How is the teacher pressuring you? She has a sign out sheet because she knows many parents will want to sign the kids out. She's not the one doing it, it's the other parents. 

christina0607
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
They don't do that here. If you take your child out at 10:30 its counted as an absent. Why would they want that?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Who says you are expected to? And I have never taken the kids out after the activity. I matter of factly say 'see you later' and that's that. You are the parent, don't let the teacher pressure you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN