Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Idk what to think about this (school related)

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 25 Replies

This afternoon I picked my son up from daycare after I got out of work. He is 6 & in Kindergarten, but goes to an after school program until I get off work. A little back ground: he has ADHD & anxiety. He has an IEP. One of the ways we help keep him motivated & on task is if he does so many things (ex: get on/off the bus, walks to/from classroom, sits at desk, ect) he gets a game of checkers with the therapist/social worker at his school at the end of the day. 

So when I pick him up the first thing he says is "I got my game today!" Well, yay! That means it was a good day. Then he proceeds to tell me that his teacher didn't give him any work. I said "Oh was it a lazy day today?" & he says, "No, every one else got work. Mrs ---- just didn't give me any." 

?? Ok. I know that sometimes he doesn't want to do his work. I get that. Thats when (per our agreement) she is supposed to have him try until the end of the day & then have him put it in his backpack. But, no. Today he just didn't get work. Period. 

I emailed her about it & reminded her that in the future could she please send his work home should he not do it/finish it. She replied & said she would make sure it gets sent home but didn't explain at all why she didn't give him any work to do today. 

She also hasn't been checking his backpack like she is supposed to. There are papers that were supposed to be signed & returned weeks ago that are STILL in there. 

Am I wrong for feeling a little irritated? I feel like she is just starting to give up on him. While I know better than anyone that he can be difficult, its her JOB to be his teacher. She should still be giving him his work. She should still be checking his backpack...

Right?

by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Bump?

oOoLeilanioOo
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I would be talking to the principal. She shouldn't be treating him any differently than the other kids.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Quoting oOoLeilanioOo:

I would be talking to the principal. She shouldn't be treating him ant differently than the other kids.

I wrote her back & said thank you (for the reply about sending the work home). But asked again why he wasn't given any work today. That was over an hour ago & she has yet to reply. I also emailed the social worker that works there with him to see if she had any idea what may have been going on. I know she talks to his teacher about how his day goes often & we email each other a couple times a week to discuss how his week has been going. 

oOoLeilanioOo
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you're doing good so far, don't let them forget about it though. Maybe you could resend the email and say you weren't sure if she got it.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting oOoLeilanioOo:

I would be talking to the principal. She shouldn't be treating him ant differently than the other kids.

I wrote her back & said thank you (for the reply about sending the work home). But asked again why he wasn't given any work today. That was over an hour ago & she has yet to reply. I also emailed the social worker that works there with him to see if she had any idea what may have been going on. I know she talks to his teacher about how his day goes often & we email each other a couple times a week to discuss how his week has been going. 

dtm1491
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Yes and if this is included in his IEP she is out of compliance. By LAW she has to follow it regardless if she wants to or not. I would contact the Special Ed Cordinator for his school who gave you the IEP and tell them it is not being followed if you are not satisfied with the teacher's explanation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I agree she shouldnt be keeping work from him, but I dont think its the teachers job to check his back pack, I cant imagain a teacher walking around checking 25 students back packs everyday

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree she shouldnt be keeping work from him, but I dont think its the teachers job to check his back pack, I cant imagain a teacher walking around checking 25 students back packs everyday

Thats what she does. There's a folder that is sent home every Thursday. Every Friday she takes them out of the kid's backpacks. Keeps the folder until the next Thursday, puts in whatever papers need to go in there, & the cycle repeats. 

mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
If she does it for others she needs to do it for him

Mommy of 2 girls & Pregs!  twin girls & pregnant belly

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I would set up a meeting with her and the principal.  And, the papers thing--my daughter is in pre-k and when she gets there it is her responsibility to take her folder out aand put it in the folder bucket.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Quoting Kellileanne:

I would set up a meeting with her and the principal.  And, the papers thing--my daughter is in pre-k and when she gets there it is her responsibility to take her folder out aand put it in the folder bucket.

Hmm..as far as I know she is the one who checks the backpacks. I'll have to double check. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured